Somalia has received 300,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine under the Covax scheme, the first batch the country has received.
People at highest risk of contracting the virus will be the first to receive vaccines – including frontline workers, the elderly, and those with chronic health conditions – the health ministry says.
Official Press Release: @MoH_Somalia has received today its first batch of COVAX vaccine which will be administered to frontline workers. @MoH_Somalia would like to thank @gavi and all UN Agencies who facilitated with this process.@TheVillaSomalia @MohamedHRoble @UNSomalia pic.twitter.com/MxVsil0BAb— Ministry of Health- Somalia (@MoH_Somalia) March 15, 2021
The country eventually expects to receive a total of 1.2 million doses to vaccinate at least 20% of its population from the Covax facility.
The vaccine arrives at a time when the country is experiencing a new wave of the pandemic.
Somalia has reported 9,190 cases of coronavirus infections and 367 deaths, according to the latest tally by Johns Hopkins University.
- 16 feared dead, over 40 injured in Gomoa Okyereko accident on Accra-Cape Coast highway
- Otumfuo destools chief of Asante’s famous Antoa town
- Supreme Court ‘cautions and discharges’ NDC’s Kpessa Whyte after convicting him for contempt
- Pressure mounts on cedi; loses 9% in value to dollar last week
- Nigeria: Hilton Hotel owner, two workers sentenced to death for murder of student
- Bawumia picks NPP flagbearer nomination form
- AFCON 2023Q: Nuamah included, Sowah dropped as Hughton names Ghana squad to face Madagascar
- Parliament writes to EC, declares Assin North seat vacant
- 2023 U23 AFCON: Kamaldeen Sulemana to be called up to Black Meteors squad for tournament
- Learn your trade, don’t force a move from Ajax – Liverpool legend advises Ghana star Mohammed Kudus
- Prudential Life Insurance targets informal sector with ‘Mekakrawa’ insurance policy
- STEM education: Afia Kobi SHS students build model aircraft to aid maritime surveillance
- Cigar smoked by Sir Winston Churchill nearly 80 years ago up for auction
- Bofoakwa Tano seal Ghana Premier League return after beating Eleven Wonders on penalties
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Black Stars face USA in friendly on October 17
- US Ambassador to Malta pays courtesy call on Ghana’s High Commissioner to Malta, Barbara Benisa
- Authorities must probe Gomoa Okyereko accident to prevent future occurrences – Afenyo-Markin
- My husband thinks I ‘tricked him into marriage’ because I postponed our baby plans to take a 6-figure job
- NDC has rolled out plans to retain Assin North seat – Mustapha Gbande
- Mother-in-law interrupts gender reveal to hug son before he can congratulate his pregnant wife
- AngloGold incident: 52 illegal miners out of underground mine
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- NDC stands a little chance above NPP in Assin North by-election – Dr Asah-Asante
- Ghana enters Phase II of nuclear power infrastructure development