Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa lifted its ban on alcohol and cigarette sales on Tuesday as the country eased coronavirus measures to level two.
Cigarette, tobacco and alcohol sales were prohibited to prevent people from sharing cigarettes and to reduce the burden on hospitals to deal with alcohol-related injuries.
South Africa is the continent's worst affected country by the pandemic with over 580,000 reported cases.
With cases declining, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced on Saturday restrictions would ease.
It means bars will be allowed to re-open and small family and social visite will be permitted.
But there is still a 10:00 pm curfew and wearing a face mask is compulsory in public areas. International borders will still remain closed and gatherings are still capped at 50 people.
Ramaphosa said. that the number of new daily confirmed cases had dropped from a peak of over 12,000 to an average of 5,000 over the past week.
"As we look back at the past five months, all indications are that South Africa has reached the peak and moved beyond the inflection point of the curve," Ramaphosa said.
He called on South Africans not to let their guard down or "become complacent" despite "signs of hope".
The announcements should bring a much-needed boost to South Africa's ailing economy, which was in recession before the pandemic and is now expected to contract by over six percent.
But South Africa's main opposition Democratic Alliance (DA) party said the economy had already been "killed".
"These restrictions should have been lifted months ago," DA leader John Steenhuisen said in a statement, calling for urgent economic reforms and for international tourists to be allowed back.
"We are now in the midst of a devastating economic depression, and all that matters now is getting as many South Africans working as we possibly can."
Latest Stories
-
Ghana’s mining deaths fall sharply, but Chamber insists ‘three deaths are too many’
55 minutes -
Tatale Sanguli officials destroy expired food products, warn traders
1 hour -
Police arrest two watchmen over alleged defilement of 14-year-old student
1 hour -
The woman behind General Mosquito: Could Ghana be meeting its next First Lady?
1 hour -
Court remands man over alleged Labone bank robbery attempt
1 hour -
Supreme Court to rule today on challenge to legal vacation warrants
1 hour -
Tamale Metropolitan Assembly distributes 10,000 bags of fertiliser to farmers
1 hour -
TUSAAG suspends strike, resumes work after renewed talks with government
1 hour -
PIAC marks 15 years of oil revenue accountability and transparency
2 hours -
Adongo calls for non-political interference in $1.46bn Heritage Fund review
2 hours -
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 amid concerns over ageing lab equipment
2 hours -
Arise Ghana demands stronger commitment to end galamsey
2 hours -
96% of Ghanaian pensioners willing to work beyond retirement age – Study
2 hours -
Ghana gets nuclear power plant simulator
2 hours -
Temporary Akosombo power control facility to be ready by September – Energy Ministry
2 hours