Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa's government has proposed to remove the luxury excise duty on smartphones worth below $136.37 from April 1 to support digital adoption for low-income households, the National Treasury said on Wednesday.
Currently, so-called ad valorem excise duties on smartphones are charged at a rate of 9%.
"Government proposes that as of 1 April 2025 this duty rate be applied only to smartphones with a price paid greater than 2,500 rand at the time of export to South Africa," treasury said in its budget statement.
This proposal will "enhance smartphone affordability at the lower end of the price spectrum and support efforts to promote digital inclusion for low-income households," it added.
The move comes as South Africa plans a total shutdown of 2G and 3G networks by December 31, 2027 to free up radio waves for faster 4G LTE and 5G networks.
Critics of the plan had argued that phasing 2G and 3G networks risked exacerbating the digital divide as many low-income consumers, particularly those in remote areas, may not afford newer smartphones designed for faster networks.
Communications Minister Solly Malatsi told Reuters last year that the ad valorem excise duties contribute to the high cost of smart devices and that he was in talks with treasury to cut these.
Latest Stories
-
GTA 6 leaks – a nightmare or a blip for the biggest video game of the year?
4 hours -
Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple
4 hours -
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
4 hours -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
4 hours -
Man Utd agree £70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
4 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
4 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
5 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
5 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
6 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
6 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
6 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
6 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
6 hours