Audio By Carbonatix
The Speaker of Parliament, Alban Bagbin, has suspended four Members of Parliament (MPs) for two weeks effective immediately following a chaotic incident that occurred during Thursday’s sitting of the Appointments Committee.
The suspended MPs include the two chief Whips for both the Minority and Majority caucuses, Rockson Nelson Dafeamekpor and Frank Annoh-Dompreh, as well as Alhassan Sulemana Tampuli and Jerry Ahmed Shaib.
Meanwhile, the Speaker has also set up a Committee to probe the incident.
The suspension comes after an incident that the Speaker described as an embarrassment to the institution of Parliament.
Speaker Bagbin has directed the Parliamentary Marshal to prevent the suspended MPs from entering the chamber for the period.
The decision was made in light of the disorder that occurred during the vetting of ministerial nominees, which disrupted the smooth conduct of the committee’s work. Tables and microphones were broken in the process, with some MPs nearly engaging blows.
Speaker Bagbin made it clear that such behaviour would not be tolerated and warned of further action should similar incidents arise in the future.
During his statement, Speaker Bagbin expressed his disappointment over the actions of the MPs involved.
He emphasised that their conduct was unbecoming of Members of Parliament and said the incident had brought shame to the legislative body.
He further explained that the suspension was necessary to maintain order and discipline within the parliamentary proceedings, which he said had been severely undermined by the actions of the MPs.
Speaker Bagbin also alluded to the possibility of additional consequences if such disruptions continue.
He assured the public that Parliament would take a firm stand against any actions that could harm its reputation and disrupt its work.
This comes after the Appointments Committee apologised for the incident before the start of today's vetting.
Latest Stories
-
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
33 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
51 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
1 hour -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
4 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
5 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
5 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
6 hours -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
6 hours