New York Red Bulls (NYRB) defender, Gideon Baah suffered a broken leg this past weekend and will miss four to five months of action, according to reports.
The Ghana international suffered a non-contact injury in the 22nd minute of the match against the Portland Timbers, Empire of Soccer reports.
It was later discovered that the 24-year-old former reality television star broke his tibia (shinbone) during the match on Sunday and was scheduled to undergo surgery on Monday.
“To have this happen to him is painful for everyone,” head coach Jesse Marsch said.
Baah was signed as the team’s only free agent during the transfer window and has been plagued by injuries during his first season in the MLS.
He has played just eight matches including Sunday’s against the Timbers which was his sixth start of the year.
In 2007, Baah won a football reality show (MTN Soccer Academy) in Ghana. He received a number of prizes which included cash, car, trip to watch the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and two-week trial at Chelsea FC academy.
He has since played for clubs including, Kumasi Asante Kotoko, FC Honka and HJK Helsinki.
Follow Joy Sports on Twitter: @JoySportsGH. Our hashtag is #JoySports
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Bashir Hayford sure of victory over Mali
- 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League: Nutterz Putterz set the pace
- Altitude forced Ghana to slow down in second half - Kwesi Appiah
- Zverev stuns world number one Djokovic to win ATP Finals
- Switzerland come back to stun Belgium and reach Nations League semis
- Mauritania seal historic Afcon qualification
- AWCON 2018: Five-star Zambia trounce Equatorial Guinea
- AWCON 2018: South Africa stun Nigeria in Group B opener
- Kane inspires England comeback to seal UEFA Nations League finals place
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Jordan double gives Ghana victory over Ethiopia
- Give us spectacular goals, impressive set pieces - First Lady to Black Queens
- Thomas Partey shortlisted for BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- AWCON 2018: Ghana open campaign with win over Algeria
- Nigeria return to Africa Cup of Nations