The Portuguese boss kept his promise by donning a hat and mask after leading his side to the Champions League knockout stages
Shakhtar pulled off a memorable 2-1 victory over Manchester City on Wednesday night which ended the Premier League side's 28-game unbeaten streak.
Diminutive Brazilian Bernard curled in a beauty in the first half, shortly before Ismaily made it 2-0. Sergio Aguero pulled a goal back for the visitors – already group winners pre-match – with a penalty in added time, but it wasn't enough as Shakhtar finished the group stage in second place.
The Ukrainian side's Portuguese manager Fonseca had promised to dress up as Zorro if he got his team to the last 16 - and so he did.
"This is the most joyful news conference of my career," Fonseca chuckled to baffled reporters.
"I feel great joy. I think not only Shakhtar's supporters but all Ukrainians have to be proud of our team."
Shakhtar faced a tough task making it out of the group ahead of Serie A high-fliers Napoli, whose 2-1 loss to Feyenoord capped a miserable night for the Italians.
Fonseca's side are still playing away from Donetsk amid political troubles, 154 miles away in Kharkiv as the crow flies.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- 'Be more serious!' - Suarez urges team-mate Dembele to focus
- AWCON 2018: Ghana coach Bashir Hayford sure of victory over Mali
- 2018 Coca-Cola Clubs Minigolf League: Nutterz Putterz set the pace
- Altitude forced Ghana to slow down in second half - Kwesi Appiah
- Zverev stuns world number one Djokovic to win ATP Finals
- Switzerland come back to stun Belgium and reach Nations League semis
- Mauritania seal historic Afcon qualification
- AWCON 2018: Five-star Zambia trounce Equatorial Guinea
- AWCON 2018: South Africa stun Nigeria in Group B opener
- Kane inspires England comeback to seal UEFA Nations League finals place
- 2019 AFCON qualifier: Jordan double gives Ghana victory over Ethiopia
- Give us spectacular goals, impressive set pieces - First Lady to Black Queens
- Thomas Partey shortlisted for BBC African Footballer of the Year 2018
- AWCON 2018: Ghana open campaign with win over Algeria
- Nigeria return to Africa Cup of Nations