National Sports Authority Board Chairman, Kwadwo Baah Agyemang has cautioned Ghana against bidding for the hosting rights of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations after Cameroon were stripped off by the Confederation of African Football(Caf) last week.
Caf explained that its decision was because of delays in the progress of Cameroon's preparation for the tournament, due to start in June.
They have since opened a fresh bidding process for countries interested in hosting the tournament.
And since the announcement, there have been calls for Ghana to put in a bid after successfully hosting this year's Women's Africa Cup of Nations from November 17 to December 1.
However, Agyeman, a former Member of Parliament for Asante Akyem North, has dismissed those calls and insists government remains focused on hosting 2023 All Africa Games.
“Ghana is not ready to host a 24-nation tournament,” he said.
"Just a few days ago, we were done with the 8-team AWCON. I am not saying we don't have the needed facilities. But when you look at the timeframe and the facilities that are at our disposal now, there is a lot of work to be done.”
“We should bear in mind that, there is a bigger platform that is available for Ghana in 2023, that is the All African Games. If we have any planning or any spending or any expenditure or any development of our facilities, that is what I think we should be looking at not just rushing to grab anything,” he added.
Morocco have been touted as potential hosts with South Africa reportedly interested in hosting the tournament.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Morocco to bring in VAR technology for all top-flight league games
- CAF CC: Ex-Kotoko star Yusif Chibsah thinks key to qualifying is winning away matches
- Tanko hints at call-ups for Kotoko players for Kenya Clash
- I’m not scared of Tagoe - Richard Commey
- Valverde signs one-year contract extension at Barcelona
- Arsenal lose at BATE as Chelsea, Napoli and Inter win in Europa League
- Man Utd pay Mourinho and his staff £19.6m after sacking
- Barcelona expect Messi to sign another contract
- NBA: Harden matches Chamberlain's 57-year-old scoring record
- Asensio nets late Real winner as Ajax left to rue VAR decision
- Tottenham stun Dortmund with magnificent second-half display
- CAF CC: Kotoko coach CK Akonnor happy after Zesco win
- CAF CC: Kotoko back on track with 2-1 win against Zesco
- Anthony Joshua to defend titles against Jarrel Miller
- Manchester United charged by Uefa after bottles thrown at Di María