MultiChoice Ghana, operators of DStv, GOtv and agents of SuperSport International, has secured an injunction barring Nour Vision, operators of Fly TV from airing the FIFA World Cup in Ghana.
According to the pay tv company, Fly TV have not acquired the broadcast rights to the global soccer fiesta in Ghana neither on Pay-Tv nor Free to Air.
'Supersport International through its appointed agent MultiChoice Ghana has instructed its lawyers to commence legal proceedings to stop Fly TV from airing the FIFA World Cup live from Russia,' the company said.
Checks from the official list of authorized broadcasters for Ghana for the World Cup and some other properties do not list FLY TV or Nour Vision as rights holders not just in Ghana but across Sub-Saharan Africa.
The broadcast industry in Ghana continues to battle with the issue of illegal broadcast of unauthorized content by many TV and Radio stations.
One sector greatly hit by this menace is the sports industry where some local TV stations have been airing international sporting events without going through the process required to acquire the necessary rights for the territories they operate in.
According to Tony Forson Esq. legal counsel for MultiChoice Ghana, after studying the necessary documentation 'we carried out the instructions of our client and successfully secured an injunction on Wednesday, June 20, barring Fly TV from any further broadcast of the FIFA World Cup until the final determination of the case.'
SuperSport Africa holds rights to major sports events including FIFA World Cup, Premier League, La Liga, Europa League, Champions League and La Liga) which are distributed by Multichoice Ghana through the DStv and GOtv platforms across Sub Sahara Africa.
According to Cecil Sunkwa Mills, General Manager, MultiChoice Ghana, 'will continue to collaborate with the necessary authorities to initiate civil suits to protect its content from illegal broadcasting/re-broadcasting and support the growth of both the local and international creative industry and talent'.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manner of Gyan's retirement reveals true, fractured state of Black Stars
- Asamoah Gyan retires from Black Stars
- Ghana can end AFCON drought with TB Joshua's help - Richard Kingson
- Why African players are dominating European leagues
- Bolivian referee dies after collapsing during match
- Kofi Addo-Agyekum grateful to SWAG
- 'Quality not enough' to win Afcon - Thomas Partey
- Guardiola: 'Incredible' treble not enough for Man City without Champions League
- Real Madrid midfielder Kroos extends contract until 2023
- NC Special Cup: Yacouba returns to inspire Kotoko to victory, Hearts confirm top spot in Premier B
- Nadal defeats Djokovic in Italian Open final to win first title of year
- Barca held by Eibar despite Messi double
- Real Madrid end campaign with 12th league defeat
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years