Senegal are into the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals for the first time since 2006 thanks to Idrissa Gueye’s strike against Benin
Mane set up Gueye to score the winning goal in the second half following resolute defending from Benin.
The Video Assistant Referee system has been introduced from the quarter-final stage and Mane had two goals disallowed for offside after VAR checks.
Benin's Olivier Verdon was sent off near the end for a foul on Gueye.
Benin threatened on rare counter-attacks especially from set-pieces and should have scored the opener in the first half through Pote who flicked the ball from a cross in the 18-yard box but went off target.
Senegal had more possession but did not really create clear chances in the first 45 minutes.
The breakthrough came in the 70th minute through Gueye. The Everton midfielder started and finished a move which saw Sadio Mane tee up his team-mate to score.
Few minutes later, VAR, ruled out Mane’s goal as the Liverpool man was deemed to have been in an offside position.
Diagne and Mane carved Benin defence open once again but could not double the lead as Benin goalkeeper and defenders combined to clear the ball.
The Teranga Lions will come up against the winner between Tunisia and Madagascar.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- The #JoyAFCON Team of the Tournament
- Senegal 0-1 Algeria: Five things we learned
- Algeria win Africa Cup of Nations with fortuitous early goal
- Parliament: Sports Minister summoned to explain poor AFCON showing
- 'I'd swap Champions League medal for Afcon' - Mane
- BHOBU-POGA Health Walk slated for July 20
- Senegal v Algeria: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- Ghana to face South Africa in AFCON 2021 qualifying
- Amaju Pinnick dismissed as Caf vice-president
- Mikel Obi retires from international football
- A fifth “All-African Coaches” AFCON final
- Juventus sign De Ligt on five-year deal
- AFCON 2019: Ighalo hands Nigeria bronze
- Atletico Madrid sign Tottenham defender Kieran Trippier
- Kotoko midfielder Kwame Bonsu completes move to Esperance