Wilmar Africa flew Ghana's flag high on Monday when they annexed this year's edition of the Standard Chartered Trophy on Liverpool's hallowed Anfield turf.
Wilmar progressed to the final, after seeing off the defending champions -team Uk in a tensed semifinal game. Team Ghana who were coached by ex-Liverpool defender Phil Babs then kept their nerves to seal 1-0 victory after massive defensive organisation by the Hongkong team who threatened to take the final to a penalty shootout.
The Standard Chartered Trophy is an international five-a-side football tournament for clients and stakeholders of the bank across markets in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
A total of six international teams took part in this year's competition at Anfield and this is the first time a team representing Ghana has annexed the competition.
Ghana has been participating in this tournament since 2015 and has had the opportunity to take staff, clients and media personalities to Anfield to watch Liverpool FC home games and interact with some legends of the club.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Uganda FA part ways with Paa Kwesi Fabin after two months
- Sarri to discuss Chelsea future after Europa League final
- Fifa drops plans to expand 2022 World Cup to 48 teams
- Ghana's 2019 Afcon squad: Five players snubbed by Kwesi Appiah
- Four times Black Stars players retired, then came back
- AFCON 2019: Gyan named in Black Stars provisional squad
- VAR has been a success in La Liga, say Spanish referees
- CLUB 5 on 5 tournament: Eight teams set for final
- Gyan will not be captain despite President’s intervention- Head of Sports, Multimedia
- Three reasons why Kwesi Appiah cannot drop Asamoah Gyan
- StarTimes to broadcast live Kotoko vs Asec Mimosas friendly
- Asamoah Gyan's return will be negative but… Foh-Amoaning
- Gyan rescinds Black Stars retirement decision
- Gyan’s 'tirade', Akufo-Addo's intervention criticised
- Akufo-Addo backs Kwasi Appiah's new Black Stars captain decision