Wilmar Africa flew Ghana's flag high on Monday when they annexed this year's edition of the Standard Chartered Trophy on Liverpool's hallowed Anfield turf.
Wilmar progressed to the final, after seeing off the defending champions -team Uk in a tensed semifinal game. Team Ghana who were coached by ex-Liverpool defender Phil Babs then kept their nerves to seal 1-0 victory after massive defensive organisation by the Hongkong team who threatened to take the final to a penalty shootout.
The Standard Chartered Trophy is an international five-a-side football tournament for clients and stakeholders of the bank across markets in Asia, Africa, Europe and the Middle East.
A total of six international teams took part in this year's competition at Anfield and this is the first time a team representing Ghana has annexed the competition.
Ghana has been participating in this tournament since 2015 and has had the opportunity to take staff, clients and media personalities to Anfield to watch Liverpool FC home games and interact with some legends of the club.
More Sports Headlines
- Turkish company to construct Hearts of Oak’s Pobiman Academy
- Talking points from the Premier League weekend
- Talking points from the La Liga weekend
- Talking points from the Bundesliga weekend
- African Games: Derek Abrefa named Team Ghana captain
- Coutinho joins Bayern on loan from Barcelona
- Balotelli joins hometown club Brescia on free transfer
- Ashley Cole: Ex-Arsenal, Chelsea and England full-back retires
- Chelsea held by Leicester in Lampard's first home match
- Prof Dodoo re-elected as Ghana Athletics Association president for a third term
- Ghanaian John Manyo-Plange named Vice President of Basketball Africa League
- Guardiola: They have to fix VAR
- African Games: Black Satellites win opener against Burundi
- VAR denies Man City again against Spurs
- Kroos piledriver helps Real Madrid win at Celta but Modric sees red