Caleb Ekuban is delighted after scoring on his debut for Ghana in their 1-0 win over Kenya in 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Accra on Saturday.
The Italian-born striker climbed off the bench to score the only goal as the Black Stars finished qualifiers as Group F winners, two points above Kenya.
He hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi.
“It's quite amazing. The first thing, as a striker, you want to do is to score so when you get the opportunity and you score it feels like it is not even real. I am really happy,” Ekuban said at the post-match press conference.
Ekuban is one of five debutants invited for the match by Kwesi Appiah.
Asked if delivering an impressive performance on his debut would be enough to see him make Ghana’s squad for the tournament which kicks off in June, Ekuban said; “I don’t think that the coach can decide in 30 minutes that I am good enough to be in the team that is going to the AFCON.”
“I try my best at club level and will continue to work hard. If I do well, I will go[to the tournament] but if I don’t, unfortunately, I will not make it.”
Finishing top of the group means Ghana will be seeded and the possibility of a decent group in the tournament.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Azumah pays tribute to former opponent Whitaker
- Pernell 'SweetPea' Whitaker, vanquisher of Azumah Nelson, dies in car accident
- Caf boss Ahmad paid expenses for same days but different countries
- Esperance and Wydad lodge Champions League appeals
- 'I am studying German' - Mourinho hints at Bundesliga interest
- AFCON 2019: Senegal to miss defender Kalidou Koulibaly in final
- AFCON 2019: Celebrations marred by violence after Algeria's semi-final win
- AFCON 2019: Mahrez scores late winner to put Algeria into final
- AFCON 2019: Senegal beat Tunisia after extra-time to reach final
- Novak Djokovic beats Roger Federer in Wimbledon final-set tie-break thriller
- 'Beating PSG 6-1 my best footballing memory' - Neymar fuels Barca comeback
- Senegal v Tunisia: kick-off time, team news, head to head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Military planes to fly Algeria fans to Cairo for Nigeria clash
- Agyemang-Badu joins Hellas Verona on loan
- Simona Halep beats Serena Williams to win Wimbledon title