Caleb Ekuban is delighted after scoring on his debut for Ghana in their 1-0 win over Kenya in 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Accra on Saturday.
The Italian-born striker climbed off the bench to score the only goal as the Black Stars finished qualifiers as Group F winners, two points above Kenya.
He hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi.
“It's quite amazing. The first thing, as a striker, you want to do is to score so when you get the opportunity and you score it feels like it is not even real. I am really happy,” Ekuban said at the post-match press conference.
Ekuban is one of five debutants invited for the match by Kwesi Appiah.
Asked if delivering an impressive performance on his debut would be enough to see him make Ghana’s squad for the tournament which kicks off in June, Ekuban said; “I don’t think that the coach can decide in 30 minutes that I am good enough to be in the team that is going to the AFCON.”
“I try my best at club level and will continue to work hard. If I do well, I will go[to the tournament] but if I don’t, unfortunately, I will not make it.”
Finishing top of the group means Ghana will be seeded and the possibility of a decent group in the tournament.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany to leave after 11 years
- Deontay Wilder knocks out Dominic Breazeale in first round to defend title
- Manchester City win FA Cup to secure historic domestic football treble
- AFCON 2019: Why Asamoah Gyan must be sacrificed for the future
- Robben, Ribery strike in perfect farewell as Bayern seal Bundesliga title in style
- 'Bribed' referees who handled Ashgold-Kotoko clash banned temporarily
- Guardiola relaxed over UEFA probe into Manchester City
- Allegri to leave Juventus this summer
- ANALYSIS: Only these players from Ghana's 2017 AFCON team should go to Egypt. [Infographic]
- Wafu Women's Cup: Ghana fail to reach final after Nigeria defeat
- Asantehene calls for golf support
- Solskjaer will get financial backing to 'create success' at Man United
- Thomas Partey could join Inter, claims agent
- Man City referred to UEFA judicial chamber over alleged FFP breaches
- FIFA seeks a billion World Cup viewers to boost women's game