The Ghana Rugby Women’s Sevens National Team, the Ghana Eagles, visited Sunda International to attend an event where the long-time sponsor of Ghana congratulated the team and awarded them with winners’ parcels.
The Women’s Eagles returned from Tunisia on Monday after participating in the Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Tournament in Monastir. Despite being its first-ever appearance at an international event the Ghana Rugby Women’s team managed to win the Challenge Trophy by beating Zambia by 21 points to 14.
Sunda International, a Chinese global company with operations in Ghana, has been supporters of Ghana Rugby for the past three years and have made regular contributions in both cash and in-kind to the development of rugby in Ghana.
According to the President of Ghana Rugby, Mr Herbert Mensah, the many achievements of Ghana Rugby in just a few years would not have been possible without the support of corporate institutions such as Sunda International.
“We have been fortunate to gain the support of Sunda International and other corporates such as the Panafrican Equipment Group, Komatsu, Interplast, the Gino brands and Societe Generale Ghana since my administration took over rugby in June 2014. Without their support, we would never have been able to compete in international competitions and achieve the successes we have had,” Mensah said.
According to Mensah, Ghana Rugby is a young yet dynamic full member of World Rugby and Rugby Africa that managed to achieve the following in fewer than five years:
- Established first-ever 10-team Club Championship since 2004
- Became Full Members of World Rugby on 10 May 2017
- Hosted and won two Rugby Africa Men’s 15s Tournaments in 2017 (Rugby Challenge) and in 2018 (Rugby Africa Bronze Cup with promotion to the 2019 Silver Cup).
- Entered the Rugby Africa Men’s Sevens for the first time in 2017 (Kampala-Uganda) and managed to play off for the Bronze Cup in 2018 (Monastir-Tunisia).
- Established Audited Financial Statements, probably one of very few Unions in Africa that can boast of that
- Implemented a comprehensive Rugby Management Online System (scrumIT) where all player registrations for both junior and senior teams as well as tournaments are managed online by Clubs
- Qualified to play in the 2019 Rugby Africa Sevens Tournaments that serve as Japan 2020 Olympic Qualifiers
- Won the Rugby Africa Women’s Sevens Trophy Challenge in 2019 in Monastir-Tunisia.
Ghana Rugby will be taking part in two more international tournaments in 2019 that include the Rugby Africa Men’s Sevens Tournament on 8 and 9 November 2019 in South Africa as well as the hosting of the elimination match in Ghana against Botswana on 23 November in Elmina-Ghana.
- Akuapem Poloo granted ¢80k bail
- Akufo-Addo announces nominees for deputy ministerial positions, elevates Charles Adu-Boahen
- NCA to shut down 49 TV stations for operating without license
- Certify your Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment or we will use it as toilet paper – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful to CDA
- Police arrest 40 suspected criminals at Kasoa in Wednesday morning swoop
- GES dispels claims that SHS 3 students reopening date has been postponed again
- Social media users react to Akuapem Poloo’s bail
- Police and NCA officers shut down Nana Agradaa’s Thunder TV, Ice1 TV
- Adu-Boahen elevated to Minister of State at Finance Ministry, Okraku-Mantey gets Deputy Tourism Minister position
- Mark Okraku Mantey appointed Deputy Minister-designate for Tourism, Arts and Culture
Florentino Perez blames Premier League club for ‘infecting’ Super League project
Ghana School of Law to celebrate legacy of Okyeame Baffour Osei Akoto
World’s highest daily rise in Covid cases in India, record deaths
Elizabeth Ohene: How much are we paid?
Covid-19 Corruption Risk Assessment: Every public contract must conform to transparency rule – CDA Director
Enabling livelihoods through food innovations in post-Covid Northern Ghana
MTN Ghana Foundation donates PPEs to Tema General Hospital
ADB presents ¢570,000 to 2020 National Best Farmer
Ghana to experience buoyant economic growth in 2nd half-year – Fitch Solutions
MultiChoice Content Showcase unveils must watch list for 2021
Are cell phone calls on airplane flights inevitable?
Patrick George Quantson: Technology as a tool for overcoming social challenges
Don’t use ABFA to fill expenditure gaps – PIAC to government
Covid-19: US to advise against travel to 80% of countries
Inusah Alhassah: How Colonel Kwadwo Damoah redefined Customs Division of GRA