Audio By Carbonatix
England midfielder Jordan Henderson says he has had "tough moments" since leaving Liverpool for Saudi Arabia and could "have made different decisions".
The 35-year-old was roundly criticised for leaving Liverpool in 2023 to play for Al-Ettifaq in a country where same-sex relationships are illegal.
Henderson had been a high-profile supporter of LGBTQ+ rights and apologised for letting down or hurting anyone in the community when he left Saudi Arabia to join Ajax six months later.
Henderson missed out on Gareth Southgate's Euro 2024 squad but is back in the Premier League with Brentford and the England squad under Thomas Tuchel.
"I don't think it was the reason why I missed the Euros," Henderson said. "When I was in Saudi I think I was in every camp prior to the Euros.
"Timing, with everything in hindsight, yes - maybe I would have made different decisions.
"But at the time, that's how I felt, and the decision I made was for many different reasons and only I know them reasons.
"I am not going to lie, over the past couple of years, I have had some tough moments. It felt like a break-up when I left Liverpool.
"Of course I'm not perfect and I've made mistakes in the past. Of course I will have throughout my career.
"But all I've ever tried to do is the right thing."
Henderson has won 85 caps since making his England debut against France in 2010.
He is in Tuchel's squad to play Wales and Latvia this week and feels he still has plenty to offer on the pitch.
"The most important people are the manager, the coaching staff and the players and what they think," said Henderson.
"Ask them what they think, if I am a cheerleader when I am here. I don't think one of the best managers in Europe would be choosing me just to do that."
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
4 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
4 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
4 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
4 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
4 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
4 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
4 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
4 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
5 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
5 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
5 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
5 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
6 hours