An Accra Circuit Court on Monday convicted a trader for unlawfully possessing a pump-action shotgun.
Chinedu Okafor, 22, admitted to possessing the weapon without lawful authority. But the Court deferred the sentence till November 23, 2022.
Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Maxwell Oppong told the Court presided over by Mr. Samuel Bright Acquah that Mr. Stephen Kenney, the complainant, is a military officer residing at Burma Camp, Accra.
Chinedu Okafor, the convict, is a Nigerian residing at ‘Railways’ near the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange, Accra.
ASP Oppong said the complainant also owned a drinking spot and kiosk at ‘Railways’ that he rented out.
The prosecution said at about 07:30 hours on October 26, 2022, the complainant was informed by one of his tenants, a witness, in this case, to check on something in her room.
The complainant, the Court heard, followed the tenant into her room and saw a brown box under her bed.
When the box was opened, the complainant found a pump action shotgun with barrel number 954793 in it.
ASP Oppong said the complainant interrogated the witness and she mentioned the convict, who is her ex-boyfriend, as the owner.
He said minutes later, the convict who was spotted around the area was arrested and handed over to the Police together with the exhibit.
During interrogation, the convict admitted hiding the gun under the tenant’s bed, but refused to disclose how and where he acquired the weapon.
The Police said efforts are underway to trace the owner of the gun from the firearm registry.
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- Archbishop Agyinasare’s comment can trigger security and peace instability – Security analyst
- Some OMCs start increasing fuel prices; Goil selling a litre of petrol, diesel for ¢12.45
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- 7 reported dead, several others injured in renewed Gonja – Mamprusi clash
- ‘Do I look like a fraudster?’ – Shatta Wale reacts to calls for FBI probe over his affiliation with Hajia4Reall
- I paid GH₵30,000 to fix my body – TikToker Aba Dope
- ‘It’s disappointing’ – Bofoakwa Tano coach on not being able to lead the team in Ghana Premier League
- France influencers: Jail threat for those found flouting new ad laws
- Taylor Swift fans report ‘amnesia’ following Eras show
- Finance Minister reaffirms government commitment to economic stability to MTN Group investors
- Twitter boss Elon Musk reclaims title of world’s richest person
- US President Joe Biden trips and falls at Colorado event
- Woman jailed 2 months for stealing GH¢4,600
- Some illegal miners went back into AngloGold Ashanti’s shaft after being rescued – Martin Ayisi
- WMO appoints first female Secretary-General
- Assin North by-election: NPP closes nomination as two persons pick forms
- I didn’t go for my curvy body to entice men – TikToker Aba Dope
- Your foreign tours will never be cancelled if you involve us – Alordia to Ghanaian artistes
- Gonja-Mamprusi clash: Security personnel deployed to restore calm
- Adjetey Anang to mark 50th birthday with movie, memoir, health foundation
- Gyakye Quayson can vie for Assin North seat; it’s a calculated risk – Amaliba
- ImageBureau, April Communications donate to Ekow Blankson’s family