Audio By Carbonatix
The Trades Union Congress (TUC) is set to convene a high-level stakeholders’ meeting to develop an action plan aimed at compelling the government to take decisive measures against illegal mining, widely known as galamsey.
The Deputy Secretary-General of the TUC, Dr Kwabena Nyarko Otoo, noted that the upcoming meeting will focus on concrete, independent actions by the TUC rather than broad Organised Labour interventions.
“...Somebody just mentioned NAIMOS and the Blue Water Guard; we never saw them. What we saw were excavators on the River Ayensu,” Dr Otoo said.
“To be straightforward with you, the TUC on this trip never announced any measures. The Secretary-General, in our press statement, indicated that after witnessing the situation, the structures of the TUC will meet in the coming weeks to decide on measures we must take as TUC, in collaboration with the government, to end illegal mining,” he said.
The move follows a recent nationwide tour by TUC officials to some water treatment plants and mining-endemic areas, where they observed firsthand the devastating effects of galamsey on water bodies and the environment.
Mr Otoo disclosed that this year’s approach would differ from last year’s planned industrial action by Organised Labour, which was eventually called off after government assurances.
He also expressed disappointment that successive governments have failed to honour promises made to Organised Labour and the public on tackling galamsey.
“It is now clear to everybody that those things we agreed with the government, the government did not keep its part of the bargain. The galamsey situation is getting out of hand,” he lamented.
He recalled that under the previous administration, the TUC suspended a planned strike after receiving assurances from the presidency that certain legal instruments, including L.I. 2462, would be suspended pending revocation by Parliament, and that security personnel had been deployed to protect water bodies and forest reserves.
“Those commitments were made in writing. We received a letter from the President himself on that day. So, if the new government came in with all the euphoria and promise, we expect continuity in implementing those commitments,” Dr Otoo stressed.
Latest Stories
-
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
49 seconds -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
1 hour -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
2 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
2 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
3 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
4 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
4 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
4 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
4 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
4 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
5 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
5 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
5 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
5 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
5 hours