Audio By Carbonatix
Two women accused of making abusive and offensive statements against President John Mahama in connection with the August 6 helicopter crash have been granted bail.
Appearing before the Adenta Circuit Court, Priscilla Duah Birago, a 29-year-old National Service Person, and Charity Dede Tetteh, a 29-year-old beautician, were each admitted to bail in the sum of GH¢100,000 with two sureties.
According to the court, one of the sureties must be justified with property.
Tetteh and Birago pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit a crime with offensive conduct and offensive conduct likely to cause a breach of the peace.
They are alleged to have conspired to make offensive statements, to wit: “We would have been happier if the President, His Excellency John Dramani Mahama, was involved in the helicopter crash and dwarves had eaten him up. A lot of people are dying under his tenure of office.”
The court, presided over by Mrs Angela Attache, admonished the accused persons to stay out of trouble, stressing that the matter was a sensitive one.
A team of three lawyers, led by Mr Enoch Anhwere Afoakwa, appeared for the accused persons and told the court they would advise their clients accordingly.
The prosecution, led by Chief Inspector Maxwell Lanyo, informed the court that the police were yet to obtain an order from the High Court to access the phones of the accused.
Chief Inspector Lanyo, however, did not oppose the grant of bail.
The case has been adjourned to November 5, 2025.
According to the prosecution, on August 6, 2025, Tetteh and Birago hosted a live-streamed discussion on their TikTok platform, during which they made offensive and abusive statements against President Mahama.
It said Birago subsequently disseminated the statements on her TikTok account, under the name “Abena Birago.”
The prosecution added that the accused persons were later arrested by law enforcement agencies for investigations, and that a forensic capture of the live stream had been secured as evidence.
Latest Stories
-
India–Africa Forum Summit IV postponed following consultations over health concerns
5 minutes -
We’re in a very good political environment — Dr Nduom after GN Bank licence restitution order
14 minutes -
BoG CRR adjustment vindicates my position – Dr Gideon Boako
19 minutes -
BoG pushes for connected African financial markets to unlock growth
22 minutes -
FTF Impact Summit calls for stronger youth collaboration to drive Ghana’s development
26 minutes -
Health Minister assures Ghana has recorded no Ebola cases despite WHO emergency declaration
35 minutes -
Over 101,000 students benefit from government’s No Academic Fees Policy – SLTF
40 minutes -
NPP supporters in Tarkwa-Nsuaem protest alleged irregularities in internal elections
41 minutes -
Adaklu-Helekpe residents gripped by fear following mountain mudslide
41 minutes -
Former Attorney-General condemns Abronye DC’s detention after High Court grants bail
42 minutes -
Nduom welcomes Court of Appeal ruling restoring GN Savings and Loans licence
48 minutes -
Margins Group celebrates NIA@20
49 minutes -
Traders lament slow pace of Krofrom Market reconstruction after recent project resumption
50 minutes -
IMCC engages media practitioners on new Decentralisation policy framework
50 minutes -
Our second coming will be bigger – Nduom on GN Savings and Loans
58 minutes