Audio By Carbonatix
The United Kingdom has returned 32 royal artefacts looted from Ghana's Asante Kingdom in the 19th Century.
The royal objects were taken from the Palace in Kumasi during the Anglo-Asante Wars, including the infamous Sagrenti War of 1874.
They were returned on Tuesday by the British Museum (BM) and the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A).
The 150-year-old, mostly golden royal regalia, will be on loan for an initial three years and renewable for another three years.
The loan deal is not with the Ghanaian government but with Otumfuo Osei Tutu II - the current traditional ruler of the Ashanti people.
Legal restrictions in the UK have made it impossible to return the artefacts permanently.
The return of the artefacts coincides with the silver jubilee anniversary of Asantehene Osei Tutu II, who first started the negotiations in May last year.
"Gold and silver regalia, associated with the Asante royal court, will be displayed at the Palace Museum as part of a long-term loan commitment by the Victoria & Albert and the British Museum," the Asante Palace said in a statement.
Otumfuo Osei Tutu II will receive the objects in specially designed Belgian cases in Kumasi, after which the Manhyia Palace Museum will be closed for three weeks for installation works and encasing.
The gold artefacts are the symbol of the Asante traditional authority.
Many of these items will be seen in Ghana for the first time in 150 years. The items include 15 pieces from the British Museum and 17 from the Victoria & Albert Museum.
They will be on display and open to the public in May.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
2 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
2 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
3 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
3 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
3 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
3 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
3 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
4 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
4 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
4 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
4 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
4 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
5 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
5 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
5 hours
