The Ghana Institute of Journalism (UTAG-GIJ) chapter of the University Teachers Association of Ghana has threatened to withdraw from the University of Media, Arts and Communication (UniMAC) merger.
In December last year, it was officially announced that the GIJ, National Film and Television Institute (NAFTI) and the Ghana Institute of Languages (GIL) have merged to form UniMAC.
The North Dzorwulu campus of GIJ is the physical location and address of UniMAC.
UTAG-GIJ has expressed displeasure at the slow pace and the lack of clarity in the merger deal.
In a briefing released to students after a crucial meeting, the Association said failure to act swiftly on the statutes will leave them no option but to “push for GIJ’s withdrawal from the merger”.
“That we impress on the government to release funds to run UniMAC and ease the burden on GIJ, which seems to be bearing the majority of, if not all, the costs associated with running the new university, and hasten the drafting of the UniMAC Statutes,” it added.
“The government, interim council, and management of UniMAC would be given up to 28 February, 2023 to act on our demands,” the statement signed by the president of UTAG-GIJ, Kodwo Jonas Anson Boateng, said.
UTAG-GIJ is also demanding a separation of GIJ’s funds from UniMAC’s funds, definition of the distinct roles of Acting Rector of GIJ, Registrar and VC of UNIMAC as regards the running of GIJ, integrate UTAG-GIJ/UniMAC into the Interim Council and ultimately trigger actions towards amendment of portions of the UniMAC Act.
You can access a copy of the document containing the details of the meeting via the link.
- 3 die, 8 go blind as FDA cautions against certain eyedrop brands
- Parliament approves all six ministerial nominees
- Get financing assurances from creditors, partners before Board approval – IMF to Ghana
- Minority MPs oppose approval of 2 Supreme Court Justice nominees
- Playback: MPs voting on approval of Akufo-Addo’s ministerial appointees
- Akufo-Addo laughs over Volta Regional Minister’s new nickname- ‘Triple 66’
- AFCON 2023Q: Benching Andre Ayew was my choice – Chris Hughton
- ‘I’ll direct that your hand be cut off one day’ – Speaker teases Afenyo-Markin
- We’ve had positive talks with China over $1.7bn debt – Finance Minister
- 2023 AFCONQ: Ghana 1-0 Angola: Player Ratings – Partey shines, Mensah struggles
- U23 AFCON 2023Q: Black Meteors held to 1-1 draw in Algeria
- Principal fired after Florida students shown Michelangelo statue
- Vatican returns Parthenon sculptures to Greece
- Chad nationalises assets belonging to Exxon Mobile
- NPP Bono Regional Organizer supports TESCON with 200k
- This woman left her AirPods on a plane. She tracked them to an airport worker’s home
- Cedi depreciates by 22.1% in March 2023 – BoG
- I am not ready to die – Bagbin says as he calls for adjournment of prolonged sitting
- Ghana’s debt unchanged at ¢575.7bn – BoG
- Government makes additional payment for outstanding coupons
- Speaker congratulates approved ministerial nominees
- Playback: One-on-one with Prof Ofori Birikorang on PM Express
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- 1.4 million tons of food are lost annually along the food chain
- Funeral is a huge business – Veteran broadcaster Yaw Okyere