Andre Ayew has dedicated Ghana’s impressive 2-0 victory against Sudan to the late former President Jerry John Rawlings.
Rawlings died in Accra on Thursday, few hours to the Black Stars’ 2021 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Falcons of Jediane at the Cape Coast stadium.
A minute silence was observed before kickoff with the Black Stars players wearing black armbands.
“I think we fought hard to get a win in honour of Jerry John Rawlings. We know the history and his contribution to the growth of Ghana so the win is dedicated to him,” Ayew said after the game.
“These are hard times for the family but we wish them well. May God comfort and bless them.”
The Black Stars captain led by example, scoring two goals to secure three points. Both goals were absolutely brilliant.
Black Stars remain top of Group C with 9 points after playing three games. They are six points ahead of second-placed South Africa, who host Sao Tome and Principe on Friday.
Their next assignment is on Tuesday, November 17, in Khartoum against Sudan.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- We will not allow any religious group to plunge Ghana into chaos – Muntaka
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Kwabena Agyepong’s NPP membership re-instated
- Manu, who delayed Ghana’s 4x100m baton, had never received a baton before – Coach
- #NSMQ2021: Mfantsiman Girls SHS dumped for the third time in a row at regional championships
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
- Students of Takoradi Technical University reject certificate
- Customs driver jailed for selling official vehicle
- SALL kicks against EC’s decision to amend C.I. for them to vote in 2024
Italian woman accidentally given six shots of Covid-19 vaccine
Drake is Billboard’s Artist of the Decade, will receive honor at 2021 Billboard Music Awards
We’ll work for food security reserves – ECOWAS
Pandemic could lead to more child obesity, WHO Europe office warns
French court fines, sentences Oppong Weah’s son for reckless partying
Salifu Ibrahim not being swayed by man of the match awards
SYND-Ghana backs Lands Ministry’s fight against exploitation of forest reserves
‘I left home so I can take care of my family,’ – A ‘kayayo’ on why she is on the streets
Make a deliberate effort to own a copy of the 1992 Constitution – NCCE
Parliament to reconvene on May 25 to commence second meeting
Dr Mavis Owureku Asare: Wesley Girls’ no fast policy is not about religion
NSMQ 2021: Tamasco and 3 others secure tickets to Accra on day one of Northern Regional qualifiers
Former British High Commissioner to Ghana, Craig Murray jailed for contempt in the UK
Even though it hurts to see you with her, I’m genuinely happy for you
To my ex-lover that I can’t move on from