Following the blockade of roads leading to and from the Volta Region by Western Togoland separatists, the Homeland Study Group; the Volta Regional Minister is calling on stranded travellers to keep calm as national security personnel try to salvage the situation.
Earlier this morning, Western Togoland separatists from the Homeland Study Group had launched a simultaneous attack on the Aveyime and Mepe Police Stations in the North Tongu District of the Volta Region.
They forcibly took over both stations simultaneously, overpowered the police officers, broke into the armoury, and made away with all the weapons.
It is reported that the Sogakofe Divisional Commander, Chief Supt Dennis Fiakpi is being held hostage at Avayime-Battor along with 3 other police officers.
Currently, all roads leading to and from the Volta Region have been blocked leading to about 3 km of traffic.
Speaking to the Volta Regional Minister, Archibald Letsa he appealed to stranded travellers on the roads to exercise patience as the Volta Regional Security Council executes their plan to reopen the Volta Region.
“In the next hour or two, the situation will be brought under control,” he said.
He mentioned that security agencies in the Volta Region will do everything possible to get things going and quell the uprising.
He reiterated that travellers stay calm and stay put, and pay heed to instructions from security personnel that will be deployed to the area to ensure their safety.
“They have to be calm and take instructions from the security agency,” he said.
He also mentioned that everything will be done to ensure the safe return of the three officers in the custody of the separatists.
According to the Volta Regional Minister, the people of the Volta Region are embarrassed by the activities of the separatists.
“I think the majority of the people in the Volta Region, majority, if I say majority, 95-98% of the people don’t support what is going on. In fact they are very much embarrassed by the activities of these people,” he said.
- Final year SHS student allegedly commits suicide at Barkoniaba
- DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force following his attempted forceful removal from office
- We pay ‘big money’ taxes and yet they burn our equipment – XtraGold Mining Company
- Singer kicks fan for touching her inappropriately
- ‘The system has failed us again’ – Father of 12-year-old who died due to unavailability of ambulance service
- NSMQ 2021: Archbishop Porter Girls’ outshines St Augustine SHS to qualify for National championship
- Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
- DCOP Opare Addo recounts chilling account of how he was harassed by members of the Delta Force
- Banks to soon adopt only National ID card as primary source of identification
- Those who created the national security monster have lost control – Kwasi Aning
We must protect each other against covid-19 – Imperial General Assurance MD
MUSIGA to set up new Election Committee – Ras Caleb
DSP Azugu being at post is a dereliction of duty on IGP’s part – Agalga
How to know when it’s time to end a toxic friendship
Assault on Citi FM journalist: NMC writes to National Security Ministry for update on investigations
India unlikely to resume sizable Covid-19 vaccine exports until October
Lands Minister, Abu Jinapor embarks on aerial tour of River Pra
Hospital consultation made easy using Bisa App
Tamale police arrest 3 suspected kidnappers
GOtv launches M-Net Movies Pop-up channel to celebrate African film
Ghana’s democracy is veering into the arena of anarchy and tyranny – Koku Anyidoho
Protect your rich cultural heritage – France Ambassador to Ghana tells Ghanaians
Naomi Campbell, 50, welcomes first child
Bright Philip Donkor: Ejura prison; The Church of Pentecost is a first class cooperate citizen
Residents of Abrokyire carry woman in labour on wooden door due to poor road