Audio By Carbonatix
The opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) has dismissed reports suggesting that it has disqualified one of its presidential aspirants from the party’s upcoming presidential race.
Speaking on JoyNews Prime on Wednesday, October 8, Deputy General Secretary of the NPP, Haruna Mohammed, described the reports as inaccurate, stressing that the party has not issued any official statement disqualifying any aspirant.
“The party hasn’t made any official statement regarding the disqualification of any of the members who have filed for the contest,” he clarified.
“I want to tell you that the party will communicate on such matters to the media, and that has already been made clear by the General Secretary.”
His remarks follow a report that Ing. Kwabena Agyei Agyepong, a flagbearer hopeful, has been given a 48-hour ultimatum to pay a GH₵4 million development fee or risk disqualification.
The NPP Deputy General Secretary explained that the processes governing qualification and disqualification in the party’s presidential primaries are clearly outlined in the NPP’s constitution and are handled by the Presidential Vetting Committee.
“At the appropriate time, the party will communicate to the general public on these particular matters. But as we stand now, there is no official communication as to any disqualification,” he stated.
Touching on the alleged payment of the development fee, Mr. Mohammed said the Elections Committee had already clarified its position on the matter and that any updates would be communicated through the proper channels.
“As to whether the money has been paid or not, I think the Elections Committee has indicated that earlier on, and I don’t think their position on that matter has been varied. If there’s any update, they will communicate it,” he said.
He urged the public and party members to disregard unverified claims and allow the established party procedures to take their course.
“As a party, we have not made any official disqualification communication to the general public, and we urge the general public to allow us to complete the procedures before we announce the official position of the party,” he said.
Meanwhile, the NPP has officially scheduled the balloting for its upcoming January 31, 2026, presidential primary to take place on Friday, October 10, 2025, at the party’s national headquarters in Asylum Down, Accra.
In a statement signed by the Secretary to the Presidential Elections Committee, William Yamoah, all vetted aspirants have been invited to participate in the exercise, which will determine their positions on the ballot paper for the party’s presidential election.
The statement, addressed to the five cleared aspirants, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, Ken Ohene Agyapong, Dr. Bryan Acheampong, Dr. Yaw Osei Adutwum, and Ing. Kwabena Agyei Agyepong, congratulated them on successfully passing the vetting process and urged their cooperation in upholding the party’s democratic principles.
Latest Stories
-
WHO to hold emergency committee meeting as Ebola death toll rises to 131
4 minutes -
Ablekuma North Ranked Ghana’s Best-Performing District in Multidimensional Poverty Index
11 minutes -
GIPS hails new value for money legislation, urges swift passage of Procurement Practicing Bill
20 minutes -
ASAC 2026: The finish line through the lens
22 minutes -
Agenda 111 should not be abandoned because of change in government – Dr Nsiah-Asare
22 minutes -
Sports Minister Kofi Adams challenges Queiroz to get best out of Black Stars
23 minutes -
Ghana must tread cautiously on the Gold Fields Tarkwa Lease debate
25 minutes -
Agenda 111 was properly funded and designed to address healthcare gaps — Dr Nsiah-Asare insists
43 minutes -
Supreme Court admits 14 CSOs in OSP’s constitutionality case
48 minutes -
Nhyira FM’s Ohemaa Benewaa marks ‘The Threshold’ birthday with outreach, launches Women’s Wave Empowerment
51 minutes -
On announces NIL partnership with University of Louisville track standout Elsingi Kipruto
53 minutes -
Judiciary Committee pledges support for courts and legal education in Upper West Region
57 minutes -
Hopeson Adorye calls for one-year ban on small-scale mining to combat galamsey
1 hour -
Photos: Interior Minister presents new vehicles to Ghana National Fire Service
1 hour -
GOC commits $100k to OlympAfrica project, set to begin in June
1 hour