The manner in which traffic stop searches are conducted by police officers has taken centre stage in the past few days.
This resulted from a leaked audio by a supposed driver who alleged that an officer had planted illicit drugs in his car in an attempt to extort GHC20,00 from him.
A subsequent investigation by the Police has revealed that the said incident was a figment of the driver’s imagination.
Despite the latest fact-finding report, security expert Adib Sani insists that this does not rule out the sentiments of others who have legitimate experiences in that same direction.
Speaking on the AM Show, Mr Adib further outlined a few tips that drivers can employ during police checks at traffic stops to ensure that they do not fall victim to this practice.
This includes locking all doors and leaving only the area under search open.
The security expert also urged drivers to be vigilant during the process and ensure that the probe is being conducted by one officer at a time.
Filming the event is one tactic that the security expert did not rule out.
Meanwhile, the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative has called for an independent fact-finding body to take over investigations of the alleged planting of weed and cocaine in a vehicle of a motorist by some Policemen.
Speaking on Joy FM’s Midday News on Thursday, Mina Mensah said the Police cannot be investigating themselves.
“From where I sit, it is an issue of the police’s words against the suspect’s words and in situations like that, it is better for a neutral person to investigate.
“Who knows what happened? And so even if the police investigate the whole issue and come out and exonerate the Policemen because that is what the truth is…the credibility of the Police is not as good as it ought to be,” she said.
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- ‘Hatred or truth’ – Woman’s message to son’s girlfriend shocks social media users
- Crackdown on fraudulent payrolls as Fair Wages and Salaries Commission hints at audit
- Directing CID to probe Jubilee House ‘galamsey’ claims could be plot to clear officials of wrongdoing – Dr Apaak
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- AFCON 2023Q: Mohammed Salisu only fitness doubt ahead of Angola clash
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- Government expects passage of 3 financial bills laid before Parliament
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- The rising level of air pollution in West Africa
- Livestream: Parliament suspends debate on Akufo-Addo’s new Ministerial appointees
- Energy Ministry isn’t indebted to ECG; there was no disconnection of power supply – Egyapa Mercer
- 6-packs come with a risk of depression
- Fish farmers call for government support to address sector challenges
- Avoid appointments that give impression of jobs for boys and girls – Joyce Bawa Morgtari tells Akufo-Addo
- Man jailed 180 days for fondling minor’s breast
- Lynx signee, Kasar, releases first single ‘Oyibo’
- Cedi improves in value against dollar; $1 now ¢12.40
- Politicians’ quest to recoup investment in campaigns puts Ghana’s democracy at risk – Dr Pumpuni Asante
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Kelvynboy reveals how he benefitted from Tekno, Stefflon Don feature on ‘Down Flat’ remix
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up