Audio By Carbonatix
A South African woman claims to have given birth to ten children in what would be the world’s largest-ever live birth if confirmed by doctors.
Gosiame Thamara Sithole, 37, who is already a mother of twins, gave birth to seven boys and three girls by Caesarean section at a hospital in Pretoria late Monday, her husband said.
Tebogo Tsotetsi – who is currently unemployed, told journalists of the birth of the decuplets late on Monday night, saying he is ‘happy’ and ’emotional’.

Sithole had previously claimed the pregnancy was ‘natural’, but such extreme births are almost always the result of fertility treatments, with multiple fertilized embryos inserted into the womb to increase the chances the patient will fall pregnant.
It comes just a month after a Malian woman, Halima Cisse, gave birth to nine children at a hospital in Morocco, in another case thought to have been caused by fertility treatment.
A fertility doctor who had previously commented on the case has been contacted for verification but had not responded at the time of publication.

Tsotetsi was the first to reveal the birth to local outlet Pretoria News, with the news subsequently picked up by other major international outlets.
Speaking to the paper late last night, Tsotetsi said, "It’s seven boys and three girls. She was seven months and seven days pregnant. I am happy. I am emotional. I can’t talk much."
In an interview with the same newspaper before the birth, Sithole – who is a store manager – said doctors initially told her that she was pregnant with six children.
But that was increased to eight following a later scan. It was only while undergoing surgery that the other two babies were discovered.
Sithole said she suffered through the complicated pregnancy, experiencing morning sickness early on followed later by pain in her leg.
Meanwhile, Tsotetsi revealed that he initially could not believe his wife with pregnant with six children, thinking it was medically impossible.
The condition of the children following the birth was not made clear by Pretoria News, which was the first to report the case.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
29 minutes -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
40 minutes -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
49 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
50 minutes -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
51 minutes -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
59 minutes -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
59 minutes -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
59 minutes -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
1 hour -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
1 hour -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
2 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
2 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
2 hours -
Two nationwide blackouts in a space of a month ‘cause for worry’ – Adomako-Mensah
2 hours