One police officer has been shot dead and another four injured in an incident in South Carolina, officials say.
The officer died of his injuries in the incident in Vintage Place, Florence. The condition of the others is unknown.
The suspected gunman has been arrested and taken to hospital. He has not been identified and the motive is not clear.
"We are asking everyone to stay away from Vintage Place as there is still an active crime investigation in progress," Florence officials said.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster paid tribute to the police.
The Officer Down Memorial Page lists the names of 23,408 US police officers killed in the line of duty - 112 so far this year.
Over 15,000 people have been killed by guns in the United States in 2017, according to a list compiled by tracking website Gun Violence Archive.
That figure does not include an estimated 22,000 annual suicides using firearms.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Watch Obama play baseball, football with kids in D.C
- Theresa May announces resignation
- Rockets 'hit luxury hotel in Libya's capital'
- US lays new charges against Assange
- Nigeria: Six trapped in collapsed building
- UN backs end to UK control of Chagos islands
- Armed gang kills at least 18 in northwest Nigeria
- Female BBC manager rejects job over equal pay
- U.S. House's Pelosi: Trump is engaged in 'cover-up'
- Uber driver was Somali war criminal
- A baby cut from his mother's womb after she was killed opens his eyes
- South Sudanese journo beats Dangote in Fortune magazine’s World’s Greatest Leaders list
- Vibrator prize for Spanish squash champion spurs sexism debate
- White House tells ex-aide not to testify
- 12 Jihadists killed as Egypt investigates bomb explosion