One police officer has been shot dead and another four injured in an incident in South Carolina, officials say.
The officer died of his injuries in the incident in Vintage Place, Florence. The condition of the others is unknown.
The suspected gunman has been arrested and taken to hospital. He has not been identified and the motive is not clear.
"We are asking everyone to stay away from Vintage Place as there is still an active crime investigation in progress," Florence officials said.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster paid tribute to the police.
Telesol launches 4G internet service; set to bridge digital gap
Managing Director of Telesol, a 4G-internet service provider said the company is set to adopt new technologies to widen the current digital divide between Africa and the rest of the world beginning from Ghana.
The Officer Down Memorial Page lists the names of 23,408 US police officers killed in the line of duty - 112 so far this year.
Over 15,000 people have been killed by guns in the United States in 2017, according to a list compiled by tracking website Gun Violence Archive.
That figure does not include an estimated 22,000 annual suicides using firearms.
Have your say
More World Headlines
- Two nuns admit embezzling cash for Vegas gambling trips
- Thousands walk on Ethiopia Car Free Day
- Macron to hold protest crisis meeting
- Gabon's Bongo suffered a stroke - Vice President
- Kenya's president hires 91-year-old to secure youth sports fund
- Sudan helicopter crash kills officials
- Togo: child shot, killed during clashes between protesters, security forces
- William Barr nominated by Donald Trump to be US attorney general
- South Africa mob kills suspected arsonist
- If US builds missiles, so will we – Putin
- Liberia electricity crisis: 'About 60% of power stolen'
- British PM suffers setbacks as Brexit debate starts in parliament
- ‘Fake First Lady’ arrested in Nigeria
- Michelle Obama revisits London school that inspired education drive
- UK uproar as Africa deportees not contacted