Audio By Carbonatix
The Yamfo Traditional Council has petitioned President John Dramani Mahama over what it describes as an escalating security threat linked to the conduct of Dr Christopher Beyere, the 2024 parliamentary candidate of the NDC in Techiman South, at the College of Health–Yamfo. The Council warned that continued inaction could lead to unrest within the community.
The Ministry of Health had earlier transferred the current Director of the College, Dr Mohammed Ibrahim, and introduced Dr Christopher Beyere as his replacement.
JoyNews has published a series of reports indicating that students — including members of the Tertiary Education Institutions Network (TEIN) of the NDC — staff, youth groups and the Traditional Council have rejected Dr Beyere’s appointment and are calling for Dr Ibrahim to be maintained as Director.
The petition, signed on Friday by the Omanhene of the Yamfo Traditional Area and President of the Yamfo Traditional Council, Nana Ansah Adu-Baah III, said it follows earlier resolutions, notices and petitions submitted to the Ministry of Health, which, according to the Council, have received no response or engagement.
According to the petition, during engagements with the police, the Command acknowledged the heightened security risk and indicated that a formal security report would be submitted to the Ministry of Health.
The police, the petition said, further warned of the potential for serious disturbance and conflict should Dr Beyere attempt to force his presence on the community.
Despite these warnings, the Traditional Council alleged that on Thursday, December 18, Dr Beyere returned to the college accompanied by individuals described as “machomen” and task force personnel.
The petition stated that the Director’s office was forcibly broken into and that attempts were made to break into the Director’s official residence, which reportedly failed only due to reinforced security gates and door locks.
“Nananom, elders and the youth of Yamfo described the actions as a serious breach of the peace, property rights and public order,” the petition stressed.
The community condemned the alleged actions and declared that such behaviour would not be tolerated, particularly on infrastructure and assets wholly owned by the Yamfo community.
According to the petition, the Traditional Council has formally notified Dr Beyere that he is not welcome within the Yamfo community or at the College of Health, Yamfo.
It warned that any further attempt to enter the community or the college against the expressed position of traditional authority would be regarded as deliberate provocation.
The Council further stated that it withdraws all customary responsibility for any consequences arising from such defiance and urged the state to take full responsibility for Dr Beyere’s safety should he ignore the notice.
Dr Beyere was also warned not to attempt to access, interfere with, or force entry into any community-owned buildings or structures within the college. The Council said any such attempt would be resisted.
The Traditional Council placed on record that the continued failure of the Ministry of Health and the government to respond to its petitions and to engage the Council is directly contributing to an escalating security risk.
Under these circumstances, the Council said it cannot assume responsibility for the safety of any individual who acts in defiance of community authority and urged the state to act urgently.
It further declared that a staff durbar reportedly scheduled by Dr Beyere is unauthorised and must be boycotted. Staff members were strongly advised not to attend any such gathering within the Yamfo community until the matter is resolved through dialogue.
The Yamfo Traditional Council said it rejects Dr Christopher Beyere and any attempt to legitimise his authority within Yamfo as Director of the College.
It added that any individual who chooses to associate with him does so against the expressed position of traditional authority.
Latest Stories
-
Photos: Sammy Gyamfi at Government Accountability Series
5 minutes -
Ghana School of Law SRC President-elect petitions authorities for relief for referred students
13 minutes -
Promasidor Ghana unveils Onga Mix Tomato Paste, names Diana Hamilton brand ambassador
26 minutes -
‘You admitted the loss, now account for the GH¢22bn’ – Minority hits back at GoldBod CEO
27 minutes -
Gender Department raises alarm over rising teenage pregnancy in Ashanti Region
45 minutes -
GJA@77: Ethical journalism foundation for strong, resilient democracies – UK Deputy High Commissioner
49 minutes -
Police pickup carrying suspects crashes into trotro on KNUST campus, several injured
49 minutes -
AMA Mayor apologises to alleged extortion victim, orders refund
51 minutes -
Akwatia MP defends GoldBod, says IMF report didn’t blame it for losses
54 minutes -
Building community after a merger: What UniMAC’s concord initiative can teach higher education
54 minutes -
UN security official meets GoldBod CEO Sammy Gyamfi
59 minutes -
Two detained after French influencer’s scorched body found in vineyard
60 minutes -
ORAL has been reduced to a tool for political convenience – Kwesi Botchway Jnr
1 hour -
6 in 10 businesses fail to properly account for VAT – GRA
1 hour -
US retail giant receives $1bn boost from tariff refunds
1 hour