The premiere of US documentary series Surviving R Kelly was evacuated after "individuals stated they received a threatening phone call", NYPD has said.
"The location was evacuated, no shots were fired. No arrests have been made and the investigation is onoging," New York Police Department told the BBC.
The six-part series focuses on the women who have accused the singer of sexual misconduct, which he denies.
#MeToo founder Tarana Burke was among several panellists at the screening.
She tweeted: "The worst of it isn't the threat though because it didn't appear to be credible, but the survivors who had to endure his harassment. #MuteRKelly"
April Reign, who created the #OscarsSoWhite hashtag, was also at the screening and said police were on the scene.
The event, which took place in New York on 4 December, was postponed by the venue, NeueHouse Madison Square.
Their spokesperson told the BBC that the safety of its storytellers and members "is always our first priority. Tonight was no different"
They added: "NeueHouse has always existed to celebrate creatives, entrepreneurs and activists with important and meaningful stories to share.
"Despite non-credible threats called in during tonight's screening, we followed appropriate safety protocols in collaboration with the NYPD and elected to postpone the event.
'Safety of paramount importance'
"We stand by the creative women bringing these heroic stories to light."
NYPD added that they have an "open complaint for aggravated harassment" on the incident.
Lifetime, which made the documentary, told the BBC: "Several anonymous threats were called in.
"As a precaution, the network elected to evacuate the building. The safety and security of our panel, guests and staff is of paramount importance to Lifetime."
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- D-Black drops much anticipated ‘Smoke & Mirrors’ EP
- Video: My mom and I were abandoned by my father – Nsromma star
- It will be difficult going back to school – Kuami Eugene
- I’m a shopaholic, I need prayers – Jackie Appiah
- Abraham Attah to star in Birdman’s film
- Lena Headey didn’t like Cersei’s ‘Game of Thrones’ death scene
- Girlfriends, side-chicks of Black Stars players should be allowed into their camp – Mzbel
- Duchess Meghan nominated for World Fashion Award
- Video: Do politics if you want Ghana to move forward – A Plus
- Pushing foreign genres will not sell Ghana - Mikki Osei Berko to artistes
- “You can’t be serious” - Kwesi Arthur's dad reacts to his plan to marry at 35
- Comedy play 'Adam in Court' stages on June 22
- Cardi B forced to perform in bathrobe after wardrobe malfunction
- 2019 MTV Movie, TV Awards: The only 10 moments people will be talking about
- I received death threats over Konkonsa show on Radio Gold - Mikki Osei Berko