A General Practitioner at the Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital, Dr. Michael Kwapong-Nyarko wants benevolent societies to pay more attention to orphanage in the country.
He said the poor state of living conditions in orphanages leads to an outbreak of communicable diseases.
Dr. Michael Kwapong-Nyarko made this know after hundreds of children from the Potter's Village, an orphanage home in Dodowa benefited from a free health screening exercise organized a non-governmental organisation, My Help, Your Help Ghana.
The exercise formed part of activities lined up for the organisation's first anniversary.
A team of doctors from Korle-Bu teaching hospital, 37 Military Hospital, Ridge hospital, Cocoa Clinic and Koforidua government hospital screened the children for diseases like malaria, diabetes, hepatitis.
Beneficiaries were given basic medication for various ailment whiles those with serious condition were referred to seek attention at medical facilities.
The group also donated various food items, toiletries, bags of cements, used clothing's, and shoes and treated the children to music and dance.
Head of the medical team, Dr. Michael Kwapong-Nyarko, disclosed that malaria top the list of ailment treated, attributing it to the state of the home.
Founder and president of the group, My Help, Your Help foundation Nicholas Cofie said the group is committed to touching lives.
The group, he disclosed, donates to the less privilege in the society every Easter and Christmas Festive since its inception in March 2018
Founder and chairperson of the orphanage, Jane Irina Adu, commended the group for their kind gesture and called on others to emulate.
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Lifestyle with Sakwaba: Love corner: Is what you’re feeling love or infatuation?
- How many bananas are enough?
- UG School of Nursing and Midwifery gets first substantive Dean
- Conjoined twin girls separated after 50 hours of surgery
- Mona by Nehita: Luxury jewellery line, launches in Ghana
- Abandoned hospital projects at Fomena, Kumawu to be completed this year - Minister
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Your events are incomplete without Homeda Kente