The national coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has been honoured by the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) with The International Order of Civil Defence for outstanding service.
Mr Portuphy, an aspiring National Chairman of the ruling National Democratic Congress was among six personalities honoured during the 47th Executive Council Meeting of the ICDO in Geneva, Switzerland on February,20 this year.
Ghana joined the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) in 1974 and currently holds an Executive Member position.
The mandate of ICDO is to ensure member countries provide security and safety from emergencies or disasters for their citizens.
They also focus on priority 5 of the United Nations Hyogo Frame of Action (HFA) priority areas for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
Mr. Portuphy told Joy News he was humbled by the award and shares it with the good people of Ghana, current and past governments, staff of NADMO and the press.
He said without them he would not have been recognised.
As a member of ICDO, Ghana has benefitted from emergency rescue training programmes to prepare staff of NADMO and citizens adequately to withstand emergencies.
Ghana joined other member states of the ICDO to celebrate the World Civil Defence Day under the theme “Civil Defence and Culture of Prevention for a Safer Society" on March 1 this year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Veep accident: Injured security personnel, passengers discharged
- Nyantakyi and another freed by court
- 233 communities to benefit from grid expansion in Ashanti Region
- Meteorological Agency gets 10 automatic weather stations
- 'Tinder for cows' matches livestock in the mood for love
- Establish counselling departments in schools – GNACC
- Spousal violence is a crime report all cases – CHRAJ
- Vice President involved in accident, one dead
- Photos: Hungary opens consulate in Kumasi
- GNPC CEO, Board Chair in turf war over Procurement Manager hiring
- Woman goes viral for reviewing brands of soap on how good they taste
- Short Commission: Police testimonies show breakdown in command, control – Bentil
- Manhyia widows praise Opoku-Prempeh
- Luxury car owners, others to protest tax
- This company will confess to your crush if you’re too shy to do it yourself