The national coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has been honoured by the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) with The International Order of Civil Defence for outstanding service.
Mr Portuphy, an aspiring National Chairman of the ruling National Democratic Congress was among six personalities honoured during the 47th Executive Council Meeting of the ICDO in Geneva, Switzerland on February,20 this year.
Ghana joined the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) in 1974 and currently holds an Executive Member position.
The mandate of ICDO is to ensure member countries provide security and safety from emergencies or disasters for their citizens.
They also focus on priority 5 of the United Nations Hyogo Frame of Action (HFA) priority areas for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
Mr. Portuphy told Joy News he was humbled by the award and shares it with the good people of Ghana, current and past governments, staff of NADMO and the press.
He said without them he would not have been recognised.
As a member of ICDO, Ghana has benefitted from emergency rescue training programmes to prepare staff of NADMO and citizens adequately to withstand emergencies.
Ghana joined other member states of the ICDO to celebrate the World Civil Defence Day under the theme “Civil Defence and Culture of Prevention for a Safer Society" on March 1 this year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- 3 persons jailed for receiving stolen items
- Self-styled journalist charged for fraud
- UN chief deplores lack of civilian protection in armed conflict
- Freedom of worship is not complete in Ghana - Abotsi
- Let's develop national character for sustainable good governance - Rawlings
- MTN Heroes of Change Season 5 10 finalists named
- Photos: Careguide Montessori School marks AU Day
- PDS waives over ¢100m for Krobo Odumase residents
- Photos: Articulated truck tumbles on the Kwame Nkrumah Overhead
- Ghanaian scientist, Prof. Torto awarded Agropolis Louis Malassis Prize
- The Odumase bill that has led to a kill
- Security guard jailed for threatening former minister
- Defence Minister picks Chokosi, Konkomba leaders as microphones for peace mission
- Tumu SHS: Two high-schoolers nabbed for vandalism over seized phones
- Ghana may legalise same-sex marriage in 2039 - Kpebu