The national coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organization (NADMO) has been honoured by the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) with The International Order of Civil Defence for outstanding service.
Mr Portuphy, an aspiring National Chairman of the ruling National Democratic Congress was among six personalities honoured during the 47th Executive Council Meeting of the ICDO in Geneva, Switzerland on February,20 this year.
Ghana joined the International Civil Defence Organisation (ICDO) in 1974 and currently holds an Executive Member position.
The mandate of ICDO is to ensure member countries provide security and safety from emergencies or disasters for their citizens.
They also focus on priority 5 of the United Nations Hyogo Frame of Action (HFA) priority areas for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
Mr. Portuphy told Joy News he was humbled by the award and shares it with the good people of Ghana, current and past governments, staff of NADMO and the press.
He said without them he would not have been recognised.
As a member of ICDO, Ghana has benefitted from emergency rescue training programmes to prepare staff of NADMO and citizens adequately to withstand emergencies.
Ghana joined other member states of the ICDO to celebrate the World Civil Defence Day under the theme “Civil Defence and Culture of Prevention for a Safer Society" on March 1 this year.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Santa on the naughty list after 'swearing at children'
- Anlo youth fight Torgbui Sri III over decision to attend Akwasidae
- The ancient 'gateway to the underworld'
- GCIC graduates, inducts entrepreneurs into its business incubator
- Gov’t urged to incorporate Earth Science into SHS curriculum
- Private tertiary institutions struggling - Pentecost University Rector
- Medical drones: Procurement expert offers critical “clause by clause” analysis of deal
- Accra Ridge Church inducts 2 new ministers into office
- The island that never get full
- Medical drone deal suspension would cause judgment debt – Ayine
- Photo of the week: The moment Rawlings told a hilarious story about seed sowing
- Myjoyonline Week in pictures
- GES urged to reconsider stance against mobile phone use in SHS
- Rawlings calls for environmental vigilantism
- Medical drones: Baako criticises lack of “deliberate engagement” with GMA