Former President Flt Lt Jerry John Rawlings has called for calm and restraint as the security agencies investigate the unfortunate lynching of a serving military officer at Denkyira-Obuasi.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the former President expressed his sincere condolences to the wife, family and the unit of the late Captain Maxwell Mahama for their unfortunate loss.
“Your loss is a loss to the whole country. Your husband, son and brother lost his life serving his country.”
Flt Lt Rawlings added, “Taking the law into our hands in the manner the perpetrators of the act did was an act of cruelty. However, I implore the affected institution to remain calm as the security agencies investigate the matter.
Captain Maxwell Mahama.
The former President added his voice to calls by many concerned Ghanaians over the lack of speedy investigation and prosecution of persons who perpetrate serious crimes such as armed robbery and murder.
“When the law does not seem to be giving people justice, such acts of cruelty resulting in the unfortunate loss of innocent life, is the end result. I call on the security agencies and the law courts to inspire confidence in the populace by acting swiftly and effectively when crimes are committed in our communities.
“The recent acts of violence in Somanya and Kumasi cannot be taken in isolation. They go to expose a weakness in the general response to crime,” former President Rawlings said.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Building cathedral but removing RME from syllabus is hypocrisy – Educationist
- Pennsylvania police seek volunteers to get drunk for training exercise
- Wave of killings 'threaten right to life, liberty of Ghanaians' -- Amnesty Int'l
- The world's secret club of explorers
- Limiting killing to Kennedy Agyapong is letting killers loose - Security Analyst
- Undercover investigator killing: Homicide Unit takes over probe
- Killing of undercover investigator: President expects justice ‘as soon as possible’
- Kennedy Agyapong calls for Anas arrest over Ahmed murder
- Yendi gets $30m water supply project after peaceful chieftancy process
- Family of killed undercover investigator demand justice
- We are devastated by Hussein-Suale dastardly killing - Tiger Eye PI
- Your security is in your hands - Former CID Director cautions
- Social media reaction to killing of undercover investigator
- Anas’ partner killing: Kennedy Agyapong has questions to answer – Lawyer
- Nomadic herdsmen invade Sekyere Central; officials to use diplomatic approach