The Attorney General, Gloria Akuffo, has said embattled CEO of gold dealership firm, Menzgold cannot be brought to Ghana just yet.
According to her, although Nana Appiah Mensah, has been cleared in a case that was brought against him in the Emirati capital, Dubai, he cannot be brought to Ghana as has been demanded.
“When he was acquitted, we were advised that there is a period that is open to the complainant to lodge an appeal and until that has runs out, we cannot go and get him out of the place.
“So we are having to wait out that period,” she said in an interview with Joy FM Drive Time host Lexis Bill on ‘Personality Profile’, Thursday.
NAM 1, as he is popularly called, was arrested in Dubai sometime in December 2018 in an alleged botched gold business with a Ghanaian company, one of whose officials was known to him.
He is said to have landed in Dubai hoping to retrieve some $39 million owed Menzgold by the Dubai-based company, Horizon Royal Diamonds DMCC, for the supply of gold when he was arrested.
Mensah is reported to have won the case with the court ordering for all outstanding debts be paid back to him.
But government’s failure to return the beleaguered CEO has angered some of the customers whose cash is still locked up following the closure of his company.
The Attorney General, however, said INTERPOL has agreed with INTERPOL Ghana to cooperate in bringing him back.
Have your say
More News Headlines
- Newspaper headlines: Thursday, June 20, 2019
- DVLA, Guinness Ghana roll out new module to check drunk driving
- Tema: One person feared dead after loaded truck runs into wall
- Man ordered to compensate ex-wife for 27 years of house chores
- ACEP cautions PURC over delay to release new power tariffs
- A sleepy island paradise's most showstopping sights
- Int’l environmental organisations join opposition to mine in Atewa forest
- Ga West Municipal Assembly auctions 4 "arrested" goats for ¢665
- BOST signs Collective Bargaining Agreement with Senior Staff
- Ethiopian Airlines is Africa’s Best Airline for 3rd consecutive year
- Stereotyping Nigerians: High Commissioner was right to caution media
- Judge summons IGP, CID boss as contempt looms
- Sonrise fails to shine as Pope John record first NSMQ win in two years
- A few Nigerians committing crimes in Ghana - Dr Antwi Danso
- Agyenim Boateng blasts CID for arresting Nigerian professor