Achimota School booked a place at the final of the Greater Accra Regional Championship of the National Science and Maths Quiz (NSMQ) after beating Accra Academy in a nail-biting contest.
In a contest worthy of the name, the winner of the four-schools quiz was not clear cut until after the proverbial final whistle.
Accra - End of Contest— NSMQ Ghana (@NSMQGhana) 28 March 2019
Achimota School: 45pts
Accra Academy: 44pts
Ada SHS: 28pts
St. John's Grammar School: 27pts
One point! Just ONE point!!! This has been some contest, wow! Congratulations Achimota School!#NSMQ2019Regionals #NSMQ2019 pic.twitter.com/pvtxms7vzx
The two leading schools were tied at 41 points apiece at after the penultimate round; but after the final round, it was Achimota School who wanted it most.
Out of 20 points simultaneously available to all the schools, Achimota School picked four and Accra Academy picked three, breaking the previous tie.
Ada Senior High amassed 28 points in the contest to place third while St. John’s Grammar School fell a point behind to place last.
Achimota School will face Tema-based Chemu Senior High and St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High in a bid to crown a Greater Accra Regional Champion.
St. Thomas Aquinas Senior High qualified for the final beating Labone by 41 to 26 points. Fafraha Community SHS and Ashaiman SHS scored 15 and seven points respectively in that contest
Have your say
More News Headlines
- UG begins Bachelor of Education programme
- Four Africa city destinations you should visit right now
- Multimedia Group's Kwetey Nartey selected as 2019 Mandela Washington Fellow
- Church bans 'backpacks' over recent terror threat
- Imported arms controversy: ‘Weapons pose security threat’ – Abotsi
- Climate change lessons included in new basic school curriculum
- We have employed 350,000 public sector workers - Veep
- 2 siblings washed away while playing in the rain
- Man charged with reckless driving wants to go to jail than home to wife
- Google launches one-stop shop for flights, hotels
- Baako wants CID boss changed
- 2 Suspected robbers killed in shoot-out with police at Kasoa
- NIA shuts down online portal for Ghana Card registration
- 5 years on; Rawlings, other NDC stalwarts remember PV Obeng
- Abuakwa South MCE urges youth to desist from using illicit drugs