The Sunyani Traditional Council has refused to receive the Flagbearer of the New Patriotic Party, over an impasse between the council and the Brong Ahafo Regional branch of the party.
A letter signed by the Akwamuhene of the Council, Nana Kwaku Ababio to the B/A branch of the NPP was emphatic, “we are sorry to inform you that the council cannot receive Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and is entourage….”
However, the letter maintained that the council does not have any personal issue with the party’s 2016 presidential aspirant. “Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is not any enemy,” the letter pointed out.
The NPP is in Brong Ahafo regional capital Sunyani for its 15th Extraordinary Conference taking place at the Sunyani Coronation Park on Saturday.
About 6,500 of the party’s delegates across the country are expected to participate in the outdooring of the party’s campaign team and parliamentary candidates for the 2016 general elections, as well as the National Chairman and Treasure’s reports.
The Brong Ahafo regional Secretary of the NPP, Alfred Annye who confirmed receipt of the letter declining the courtesy call told Joy News the party had written a letter to the Council yesterday notifying them about the conference as custom demands.
“We also informed them about Nana Akufo-Addo’s intension to pay them a courtesy call on Saturday morning.
“But we got a letter later on from the council saying they cannot receive Nana Addo due to some impasse with the B/A branch of the party,” he said.
However, the party hierarchy led by Nana Akufo-Addo later made overtures and met with the Omanhehe, Nana Bosome Asor Nkawiri II.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Wereko Brobby meets Akufo-Addo over Radio Gold, XYZ closure
- No pickup, no mercy - NDC tells Savannah Region Minister
- Vigilantism Bill passed into law
- NIA begins registration exercise in Volta region
- CID’s investigation of Charles Bissue political – Martin Amidu
- NDC primaries: 74 pick forms for 18 constituencies in Volta Region
- Akufo-Addo resumes regional tours with Western, Central visit
- Disobedience to court order? Never! – Lawyer shocked state refused Afoko bail
- Castigate not Kwame Owusu – Maritime Authority workers defend ex-boss
- Freddie Blay hosts NPP loyal ladies at his residence
- NDC chairman leaves post to contest Keta seat
- Rise in political propaganda disturbing – Youth activist
- Tension as angry Ashanti Region NDC supporters storm party office
- Limited Voters Registration exercise fraught with massive challenges – NDC
- We did no wrong awarding contract to David Adjaye – Parliament