The Sunyani Traditional Council has refused to receive the Flagbearer of the New Patriotic Party, over an impasse between the council and the Brong Ahafo Regional branch of the party.
A letter signed by the Akwamuhene of the Council, Nana Kwaku Ababio to the B/A branch of the NPP was emphatic, “we are sorry to inform you that the council cannot receive Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and is entourage….”
However, the letter maintained that the council does not have any personal issue with the party’s 2016 presidential aspirant. “Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo is not any enemy,” the letter pointed out.
The NPP is in Brong Ahafo regional capital Sunyani for its 15th Extraordinary Conference taking place at the Sunyani Coronation Park on Saturday.
About 6,500 of the party’s delegates across the country are expected to participate in the outdooring of the party’s campaign team and parliamentary candidates for the 2016 general elections, as well as the National Chairman and Treasure’s reports.
The Brong Ahafo regional Secretary of the NPP, Alfred Annye who confirmed receipt of the letter declining the courtesy call told Joy News the party had written a letter to the Council yesterday notifying them about the conference as custom demands.
“We also informed them about Nana Akufo-Addo’s intension to pay them a courtesy call on Saturday morning.
“But we got a letter later on from the council saying they cannot receive Nana Addo due to some impasse with the B/A branch of the party,” he said.
However, the party hierarchy led by Nana Akufo-Addo later made overtures and met with the Omanhehe, Nana Bosome Asor Nkawiri II.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- President ends tour of new regions
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop
- Make U/W 'everlasting stronghold' for NPP - Minister to NPP
- CID boss’ conduct ‘indefensible’ - Kasser-Tee fires
- Free SHS is most people-centered policy in Ghanaian history - Yagaba Chief
- Agalga responds to arms importation controversy; says gov’t being dishonest
- No space for conflicts; end the violence now – Akufo-Addo to ‘Chereponis'
- EIU report: NDC rubbishes 2020 victory prediction for NPP
- NDC issued permit for arms importation 2 days before leaving office - Gov’t reveals
- Nayiri lauds Akufo-Addo’s intervention in roads sector
- Philanthropist to industrialise Mfantseman constituency
- We’ve cleared arrears - Health Minister on trainee allowances
- DCEs abandon terrorism meeting; minister outraged
- Ghanaians angry with NPP, NDC – JOY restrategises for 2020 victory
- EIU predicts 2020 victory for Akufo-Addo