Former President John Agyekum Kufuor treated himself to a box of Kalyppo fruit drink during the 2016 manifesto launch of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) at the International Trade Fair Center in Accra.
Sitting in between the NPP flagbearer, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and his running mate, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, the former Ghanaian leader sipped the drink while he concentrated on a speech delivered by a functionary of the party at the event.
Statistics have it that sale of the drink has picked after an image of Mr Akufo-Addo sipping the drink while on a campaign tour went viral on social media especially Facebook.
Some critics of the NPP ridiculed the picture saying the three times presidential candidate is patronising a drink that could put his health at risk.
NPP faithful stood by their leader triggering what has become #Kalyselfie on social media particularly on Facebook and Twitter.
Dr Bawumia, acting National Chairman of NPP, Freddie Blay and acting General Secretary, John Boadu joined the craze clutching their drink.
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections
- ‘Ghanaians feel insecure’ – Mahama wants gov't action
- Gov't won't be swayed by EIU's election 2020 victory report - Oppong Nkrumah
- Yapei chief commends Akufo-Addo for tackling water problem
- Gov’t records four-fold increase in revenue in piloted cashless system
- Appointment of Ambassador-at-large ‘killing’ PNC - Mornah
- Savannah Region will soon catch up with others - Akufo-Addo assures
- President ends tour of new regions
- Let's protect our peace by rejecting vigilantism - Methodist Bishop