The Minority in Parliament says the gruesome murder of a military officer in the Central Region demonstrates the lawlessness the country has been plunged into for the past months.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) MPs in a statement Tuesday want government to protect the “enviable” democratic record bequeathed to it by the past administration.
Minority leader, Haruna Iddrisu condemned the killing of Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama by some residents at Diaso on Monday while on his early morning jogging.
Late Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama
He entreated government to as a matter of “urgency to explore all legal and legitimate means to bring the perpetuators to book.”
Read full statement below:
National Democratic Congress Minority Caucus Statement on the Murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama.
The National Democratic Congress Minority caucus in Parliament has learnt with shock and dismay, the gruesome murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama, which occurred on the 29th of May, 2017 at Denkyira-Obuasi, in the Central region.
The said officer who was the head of the military detachment fighting illegal mining (Galamsey), was without any provocation attacked and killed whiles undertaking his morning physical exercise.
We condemn this act of barbarism in no uncertain terms, and therefore implore government as a matter of urgency to explore all legal and legitimate means to bring the perpetuators to book as soon as possible.
While commiserating with the military high command and Officers and men of the Ghana Armed Forces on this sad loss, we urge them to continue to exercise restraint as the matter is being dealt with.
We also wish to express our sincere and heartfelt condolence to the bereaved family, especially the wife and children.
We wish to take this opportunity to call on government to put an end to the culture of impunity and lawlessness which is pervasive across the country.
Ghana has been universally acclaimed as an oasis of peace, order and stability, and everything must be done to ensure that this enviable record bequeathed to the New Patriotic Party government is sustained.
Hon. Haruna Iddrissu
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Prof Edmund Delle resigns as CPP Chairman
- NDC, civil society and others punch holes into Vigilantism Bill
- Ex-NCA officials ordered to open defense in $4M misappropriation saga
- Zanetor Rawlings rebukes Korle-Klottey Assembly for lateness
- Be less partisan on Vigilantism Bill- Majority Leader to Committee
- Let Amidu start with your own men - Mahama's aide to Akufo-Addo
- OccupyGhana lauds RTI presidential assent
- Special Prosecutor ‘completely wrong’ – Ayariga responds to charges
- Special Prosecutor begins prosecution of Ayariga
- CI to track source of political party funding in the offing - EC reveals
- Ghanaian voters' biometric data completely controlled by foreigners – EC laments
- I couldn’t rig elections even if my father was running – EC Chair
- Akufo-Addo extols Parliament for its 'courage' in passing RTI
- Update: Akufo-Addo assents to RTI law
- CODEO wants chiefs to galvanise support for district level elections