The Minority in Parliament says the gruesome murder of a military officer in the Central Region demonstrates the lawlessness the country has been plunged into for the past months.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) MPs in a statement Tuesday want government to protect the “enviable” democratic record bequeathed to it by the past administration.
Minority leader, Haruna Iddrisu condemned the killing of Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama by some residents at Diaso on Monday while on his early morning jogging.
Late Captain Maxwell Adam Mahama
He entreated government to as a matter of “urgency to explore all legal and legitimate means to bring the perpetuators to book.”
Read full statement below:
National Democratic Congress Minority Caucus Statement on the Murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama.
The National Democratic Congress Minority caucus in Parliament has learnt with shock and dismay, the gruesome murder of Captain Maxwell Mahama, which occurred on the 29th of May, 2017 at Denkyira-Obuasi, in the Central region.
The said officer who was the head of the military detachment fighting illegal mining (Galamsey), was without any provocation attacked and killed whiles undertaking his morning physical exercise.
We condemn this act of barbarism in no uncertain terms, and therefore implore government as a matter of urgency to explore all legal and legitimate means to bring the perpetuators to book as soon as possible.
While commiserating with the military high command and Officers and men of the Ghana Armed Forces on this sad loss, we urge them to continue to exercise restraint as the matter is being dealt with.
We also wish to express our sincere and heartfelt condolence to the bereaved family, especially the wife and children.
We wish to take this opportunity to call on government to put an end to the culture of impunity and lawlessness which is pervasive across the country.
Ghana has been universally acclaimed as an oasis of peace, order and stability, and everything must be done to ensure that this enviable record bequeathed to the New Patriotic Party government is sustained.
Hon. Haruna Iddrissu
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Ghana wants to emulate 'East Asian Miracle' - Akufo-Addo
- CSOs petition Akufo-Addo over stagnated fight against corruption
- Ricketts Hagan withdraws from “pre-determined” NDC primaries
- Game of Thrones: Wife, mistress pushed to succeed late MP
- Parliament approves medical drone agreement
- Former NDC MMDCEs back Mahama for 2020
- Bawumia promises passage of RTI bill in 2019
- Sylvester Mensah launches fundraising shortcode
- Kufuor fights "sensationalised" reportage on ex-gratia comment
- Mahama, Kufuor and Rawlings all eligible to contest for President – Dr Oduro Osae
- I am in for grassroots because I am one of them- Nurideen Iddrisu
- NDC race: Mahama's sponsors 'barred' from primaries committee
- HIPC helped restore donor confidence in “flat” economy – Kufuor
- NDC going broke weeks after election loss strange - Sly Mensah
- Wontumi to challenge Mahama's '3rd term' bid at Supreme Court