The opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC) has kicked against moves by the Electoral Commission to conduct online registration of new voters for the District level elections and the May Referendum.
They believe the move will disenfranchise numerous eligible voters who cannot afford to travel long distances to the EC’s district offices where the registration will be held.
In a press statement signed by the party’s General Secretary Johnson Asiedu Nketia, they questioned why the EC intends to go ahead with the decision although they and other political parties present at the Inter-Party Advisory Meeting on March 27 objected to the move, the Commission seems bent on carrying it out.
“In the view of the parties present at the meeting, such an approach will lead to large scale disenfranchisement of thousands or otherwise qualified potential voters across the country.
“It was within the context of such objections that the over 80-kilometre distance between Bole and Bamboi was cited to establish the long distances that exist between some District capitals and their surrounding towns and villages.
In the view of the NDC, the Electoral Commission would be derelict in its duties if it were to insist on adopting its original approach in the forthcoming registration,” the statement added.
Below is a copy of the statement:
Have your say
More Politics Headlines
- Rearing for food and jobs will develop livestock industry – Akufo-Addo
- EMYs honours British High Commissioner for Dev't achievements across Africa
- Govt can’t sack CEOs – Supreme Court declares
- Minority Leader urges EC to publish registered voters daily
- Despite Group affiliate apologises to Ibrahim Mahama
- EPA works to promote inter-institutional coordination
- Volta NDC women, MTN celebrate Rawling's 72nd birthday
- Female representation in Parliament still low – Majority Leader laments
- Video: Africa's problem is leadership - John Maxwell speaks on Joy FM
- Suit challenging legality of Ayawaso West Wuogon by-election dismissed
- District Assembly rejects 2018 League Table after scoring zero
- President peddled false energy debt figures in Canada - Minority
- Female MPs must go unchallenged in NDC primaries - Minority Leader
- Amidu takes responsibility for defects in Ayariga's charge sheet
- Ofosu-Ampofo is being investigated for kidnapping of Indian - NDC