Diego Costa may have played his last game for Atletico Madrid, with multiple reports in Spain saying he will receive an eight-game ban following his red card against Barcelona on Saturday.
The Spaniard grabbed the arm of referee Gil Manzano (four-match offence) and verbally abused him (another four matches), allegedly saying: "I s*** on your wh*** mother."
Atletico needed to win to keep their slim title hopes alive, but Costa’s dismissal after 27 minutes halted their challenge. They lost 2-0.
According to Eleven Sports pundit Guillem Balague, Costa was found crying in the dressing room after the incident, insisting he had not used the words the referee claimed.
Diego Simeone’s side only have seven matches remaining this season, meaning the ban would extend into the 2019-20 campaign – although reports in Spain suggest the club will listen to offers for Costa this summer.
Costa has only played in 21 of Atletico’s 44 games this season.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- NC Special Cup: Kotoko beat Hearts on penalties to reach finals
- Ghana 0-0 South Africa: Black Stars players rated
- Chelsea confirm departure of Maurizio Sarri to Juventus
- Pogba: I’m thinking of a new challenge
- Fury stops Schwarz in second round of heavyweight fight
- Hearts v Kotoko tactics: How Phobians can beat marginally superior Porcupines
- Colombia beat Messi's Argentina at Copa America
- Ukraine win Under-20 World Cup with final win over South Korea
- 2019 AFCON: Sadio Mane suspended for Senegal's opening match
- 'I wish team well in Egypt' – Majeed Waris backs Ghana despite omission
- 2019 AFCON: Ghana end pre-tourney prep with goalless South Africa draw
- Ghana set for World Minigolf Cup in Sweden
- Argentina impressed by Messi's desire to end trophy heartache
- Chelsea would have to pay Derby £4m to secure Lampard as boss
- Multimedia secures radio rights for TOTAL AFCON2019 coverage