Caleb Ekuban is delighted after scoring on his debut for Ghana in their 1-0 win over Kenya in 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier in Accra on Saturday.
The Italian-born striker climbed off the bench to score the only goal as the Black Stars finished qualifiers as Group F winners, two points above Kenya.
He hit a first-time left-footed shot from just inside the box, the effort proving too strong for goalkeeper Matasi.
“It's quite amazing. The first thing, as a striker, you want to do is to score so when you get the opportunity and you score it feels like it is not even real. I am really happy,” Ekuban said at the post-match press conference.
Ekuban is one of five debutants invited for the match by Kwesi Appiah.
Asked if delivering an impressive performance on his debut would be enough to see him make Ghana’s squad for the tournament which kicks off in June, Ekuban said; “I don’t think that the coach can decide in 30 minutes that I am good enough to be in the team that is going to the AFCON.”
“I try my best at club level and will continue to work hard. If I do well, I will go[to the tournament] but if I don’t, unfortunately, I will not make it.”
Finishing top of the group means Ghana will be seeded and the possibility of a decent group in the tournament.
Have your say
More Sports Headlines
- AL-SMITH: The Black Stars patriotism, under scrutiny, demands an emphatic answer
- Cameroon v Guinea-Bissau: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- Afcon 2019: Ayew optimistic about Ghana victory against Benin today
- Ghana v Benin: Kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Mali dominant in win against Mauritania
- Jordan Ayew, the stagnation of a one-time Ghana prodigy
- AFCON 2019: Cameroon's Joel Tagueu ruled out of tournament with heart defect
- Prof. Wallace writes: Black Stars' pre-tournament 'goal drought'; a cause for concern?
- AFCON 2019: Djalma secures crucial point for Angola against Tunisia
- AFCON 2019: Asamoah Gyan set for another milestone
- AFCON 2019: Tunisian to referee Ghana’s clash with Benin
- AFCON 2019: Kodjia strike sees Ivory Coast scrape past South Africa
- Rafael Benitez to leave Newcastle United
- Ivory Coast v South Africa: kick-off time, team news, head-to-head, form and more
- AFCON 2019: Morocco coach blasts referee after he refuses water break in searing heat