Audio By Carbonatix
The Criminal Investigations Department (CID) of the Ghana Police Service has disclosed that four individuals have been arrested in connection with the recent kidnapping of three Chinese nationals aboard a Ghanaian vessel at the Tema Port.
In April, the three Chinese crew members were kidnapped following a suspected pirate attack on the Ghanaian-registered fishing vessel Mengxin 1 within Ghanaian territorial waters.
The missing crew members—the captain, chief mate, and chief engineer—were found to be unaccounted for after the assailants had departed the vessel.
According to reports, seven armed men boarded the ship at approximately 5:53 p.m., firing warning shots and forcing several crew members to take refuge in a secure compartment.
The attackers are said to have remained on board for nearly three hours, during which they rounded up the crew on deck and seized their mobile phones before making their exit.
Addressing the media on May 6, CID Director-General, DCOP Lydia Ayaako Donkor, revealed that the Chinese nationals had been abducted by the suspected pirates and transported to a remote location in Nigeria, where they were eventually abandoned.
She added that the Ghana Police Service had since taken up the matter, working closely with relevant agencies, leading to the arrest of four suspects believed to be directly linked to the abduction.
Investigations, she said, are still ongoing, with security agencies in both Ghana and Nigeria coordinating efforts to apprehend any additional suspects and to unravel the broader network behind the kidnapping.
Latest Stories
-
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 minutes -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
9 minutes -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
14 minutes -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
20 minutes -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
36 minutes -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
43 minutes -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
53 minutes -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
56 minutes -
NACOC partners UPSA-RCC to train enumerators for baseline study on substance use among youth
1 hour -
Kay Codjoe Writes: The dangerous romance between inciteful extremism and “free speech”
1 hour -
From Ghana to Canada: The rising influence of Ghanaian scholars opening global doors for students
1 hour -
Gender Ministry backs Black Maidens ahead of crucial World Cup qualifiers
1 hour -
Many are called, but hostel fees have chosen few
1 hour -
8 suspects arrested in killing of queen mother at Atebubu
2 hours -
RaĂşl Castro indictment threatens to ignite war between US and CubaÂ
2 hours