Audio By Carbonatix
An Accra High Court has remanded into police custody seven persons arrested in the Volta Region for their alleged attempt to declare independence.
One other accused person, Charles Kudjordji, 85, was granted bail to the tune of ¢250,000 with two sureties.
They were on Wednesday slapped with the charges of treason felony, abetment of unlawful training, unlawful assembly and offensive conduct.
At least 30 of the secessionist were arrested in a joint police-military operation in the Volta region.
The suspects believed to be members of the Homeland Study Group in Ho had converged Wednesday morning at the residence of the Group’s leader, Kormi Kutordji, who was arrested on Sunday and flown to Accra.
The assembled members of the cell were preparing to hold a press conference before the security team swooped in.
Senior State Attorney Winifred Sarpong told the three-member panel of High Court Justices that the seriousness of the crimes allegedly committed by the individuals made a grant of remand necessary.
Related: 30 more arrested over Western Togoland secessionist plans
The accused persons namely Charles Kormi Kudjordji, Bisa Akorli, 54; Kofi Dzreke, 39; Thompson Tsigbe, 58; Benjamin Agbadzada, 48; Agbenyega Akudzi, 54; Freemen Blikaku, 36, and Nkpe Tsryiri Kudzo, 61, urged the court to grant them bail saying they had been denied legal representation since their arrest.
Ms Sarpong informed the court the case is being handled by the CID and Interpol with investigations ongoing.
She argued the accused persons intend to declare independence for the current Oti and Volta regions on May 9 making a grant of bail dangerous.
She is explained the accused persons had earlier been arrested for the same conduct in 2017 and bonded to be of good behaviour yet repeated the same conduct.
Presiding Justice Jerome Nkrumah granted the first accused person bail with the others remanded. Other panel members are Justices Charles Ekow Baiden and Afia Asare Botwe.
The case has been adjourned to May 22.
The suspects believed to be members of the Homeland Study Group in Ho had converged Wednesday morning at the residence of the Group’s leader, Kormi Kutordji, who was arrested on Sunday and flown to Accra.
The assembled members of the cell were preparing to hold a press conference before the security team swooped in.
Senior State Attorney Winifred Sarpong told the three-member panel of High Court Justices that the seriousness of the crimes allegedly committed by the individuals made a grant of remand necessary.
Related: 30 more arrested over Western Togoland secessionist plans
The accused persons namely Charles Kormi Kudjordji, Bisa Akorli, 54; Kofi Dzreke, 39; Thompson Tsigbe, 58; Benjamin Agbadzada, 48; Agbenyega Akudzi, 54; Freemen Blikaku, 36, and Nkpe Tsryiri Kudzo, 61, urged the court to grant them bail saying they had been denied legal representation since their arrest.
Ms Sarpong informed the court the case is being handled by the CID and Interpol with investigations ongoing.
She argued the accused persons intend to declare independence for the current Oti and Volta regions on May 9 making a grant of bail dangerous.
She is explained the accused persons had earlier been arrested for the same conduct in 2017 and bonded to be of good behaviour yet repeated the same conduct.
Presiding Justice Jerome Nkrumah granted the first accused person bail with the others remanded. Other panel members are Justices Charles Ekow Baiden and Afia Asare Botwe.
The case has been adjourned to May 22.DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
BoG Governor rules out immediate cut in Ghana’s inflation target
6 minutes -
All 23 banks now fully capitalised – BoG Governor
8 minutes -
Supreme Court to rule Friday on challenge to Chief Justice’s legal vacation directives
11 minutes -
Fibre repairs drain millions Ghana needs for digital expansion
12 minutes -
Sunyani–Atronie–Acherensua road project reaches 33% completion
16 minutes -
Know what you bring, know your partner first
16 minutes -
Kumasi businessman and Kessben Group CEO Stephen Kessben dies at 68
18 minutes -
Ghanaian defender David Oduro set to leave Barcelona for Aston Villa
24 minutes -
Parah Foundation commissions GH¢60,000 water project for over 300 families in Adeiso-Domeabra
32 minutes -
IES calls for urgent GRIDCo assessment after third nationwide blackout in three weeks
33 minutes -
Absa Prestige Banking team equips Buzstop Boys to support community clean-up work
37 minutes -
Digital engines of growth: The role and impact of ICT on SMEs in Ghana
41 minutes -
Absa supports €456m financing for Genser Energy’s next phase of growth
41 minutes -
Gold cannot save you at 2 am – GMTF challenges mining firms to invest in healthcare
48 minutes -
GES confirms alleged sexual assault of Bolgatanga Girls SHS student, two watchmen arrested
52 minutes