Audio By Carbonatix
Four more people have died in a coronavirus outbreak in Washington state, bringing the total fatalities there to six.
These are the only deaths due to Covid-19 on US soil. The northwestern state declared a state of emergency over the weekend.
Five of the deaths occurred in King County, where Seattle is the main city.
There are now 18 confirmed cases in the region, where there are growing fears it may spread further.
Researchers who studied the first two Washington deaths had said the virus may have been spreading there for weeks, and suggested that up to 1,500 people may have been infected.
Kathy Lofy, Washington state's health officer, said cases were confined to two counties - King and Snohomish - but that it was possible it was spreading elsewhere.
She said the virus was "actively" spreading in those two counties.
King County is to buy a hotel so it can isolate the growing number of patients in the region. More schools in the Seattle closed from Monday as cases increased.
Dr Jeff Duchin, the chief health officer for Seattle and King County Public Health Agency, said there would be no widespread school closures at this stage, nor would major events be cancelled. But, he said, the number of cases is expected to increase.
"We are taking this situation extremely seriously," he said.
Elsewhere in the US on Monday:
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said the state's first case was a 39-year-old female health care worker who had been in Iran before returning to the US last week
- The woman did not take public transportation and is not believed to have been contagious either on the plane or in the car returning home. Her spouse, also a healthcare worker, is being tested
- Officials in Florida said a man in his 60s and a woman in her 20s who had returned from northern Italy had tested positive
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
GACL board tours Hajj Village and key infrastructure projects at KIA
10 minutes -
Parliament lays Anti-LGBTQI+ Bill for second reading
15 minutes -
Ghana Medical Trust Fund oversees restoration of Cath Lab at Korle Bu
16 minutes -
Broda Harrison recognized as originator, songwriter behind global gospel anthem ‘Don’t Play With Me (God on My Side)’
33 minutes -
Komenda Sugar Factory disconnected from power, water, saddled with heavy debt – Trade Minister
44 minutes -
Ghana Water faces 21% supply deficit, GH¢14.6bn debt and 52% water losses — report warns
60 minutes -
ECG urges calm as scheduled power outages hit Ahodwo–Santasi stretch
1 hour -
COCOBOD salary cuts unfair and misguided — Isaac Yaw Opoku
1 hour -
SWAG calls on sports minister, backs gov’ts sports fund policy
1 hour -
Spain to probe social media giants over AI-generated child abuse material
1 hour -
J.J. Rawlings Foundation mourns the death of June 4 uprising figure Sgt. Peter Tasiri
2 hours -
Third round of Russia-Ukraine talks to take place as strikes continue
2 hours -
Kofi Asmah: Cocoa prices, turbulence and the cost of true leadership
2 hours -
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
2 hours -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
2 hours
