Audio By Carbonatix
Manchester United have signed former Watford striker Odion Ighalo from Shanghai Shenhua on loan until the end of the season.
The deal to bring the 30-year-old Nigeria international to Old Trafford contains no option to buy.
Ighalo, who is still in China but is expected to fly to the UK in the next few days, scored 39 goals in 99 matches for Watford between 2014 and 2017.
"Odion is an experienced player," said United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
"He will come in and give us an option of a different type of centre-forward for the short spell he's staying with us.
"A great lad and very professional, he will make the most of his time here."
Ighalo moved to the Chinese Super League in 2017, first with Changchun Yatai. After two seasons he moved to Shanghai Shenhua and has scored 10 times in 19 games.
His form for his country has been eye-catching, finishing as top scorer in African Cup of Nations qualifying with seven goals, before scoring five at the tournament during the summer.
It is understood there was interest from other Premier League clubs but Ighalo wanted to play for United.
He is United's first senior loan signing since Radamel Falcao's arrival from Monaco in 2014.
Earlier on Friday, United ended interest in Bournemouth's Josh King but did sign Southend United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop for an undisclosed fee.
United accept Ighalo does not fit the club's policy of trying to sign long-term targets, such as Bruno Fernandes, who moved to Old Trafford from Sporting Lisbon on Thursday.
However, this move has been done to cover the short-term injury to Marcus Rashford and they could not go the rest of the season without bringing in a replacement.
England international Rashford, 22, is out with a stress fracture in his back sustained after coming on as a substitute during the FA Cup third-round replay win against Wolves on 15 January.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Luv FM launches 7th edition of Primary Schools Quiz; pupils urged to embrace Ghanaian culture
17 minutes -
Nollywood star Michael Dappa stuns fans with big chop ahead of new film role
30 minutes -
NPA slams gas ‘shortage’ rumours; assures over one month’s cover
49 minutes -
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
2 hours -
Majority Leader fires back at Sefwi protesters
2 hours -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
3 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
3 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
4 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
4 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
5 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
5 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
7 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
7 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
7 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
7 hours
