Audio By Carbonatix
The Minister of Information, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah has called on the Ghanaian populace to disregard the National Democratic Congress’ claim of winning the just ended 2020 general elections.
According to Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the NDC's flagbearer, John Mahama’s claim is unfounded and utterly false.
Speaking at a press briefing organized by the government to rebuff certain utterances made by John Dramani Mahama and some high ranking officials of the NDC, Mr. Oppong Nkrumah stated that taking into consideration data from the Electoral Commission and the media, the NDC’s claim of holding majority seats in parliament is simply false and should be disregarded.
Presidential Candidate, John Mahama had earlier stated that his party, the NDC had amassed 140 seats in parliament thus automatically making them the majority in parliament.
But reacting to this, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah said it was wrong for a party to declare the results ahead of the Electoral Commission.
“The claim by candidate Mahama that his party has won parliamentary majority is false. That claim is false. Anybody who has followed Ghana’s electoral process knows that there are returning officers at the 275 constituencies. That’s different from the returning officer for the Presidential elections. These returning officers collate the results and make a formal declaration of who has won the constituency.
“The Ghanaian media is littered across all 275 constituencies and their collation centres. You are the ones who are reporting this election. If indeed if anybody has gained 140 seats in parliament by now you’ll know.”
He added that “A claim by Mr. Mahama that his party has won parliamentary majority is false. You the media are observing all the 275 collation centres across the country and I’m sure you yourself can confirm as at now that they do not have a parliamentary majority.
“So it is important that at this point in time this claim be shot down so that the Ghanaian public some of whom may be going to bed tonight, the international community listening doesn’t start getting that idea that Mr. Mahama’s party has won a parliamentary majority.”
He also entreated Ghanaians to treat with contempt such claims and patiently wait for the EC's verdict.
“I think the figures as are being collated by the Electoral Commission and being declared are quite clear. The last one I saw the media putting out was about 227 constituencies and the details were there about who has won what. So please do not be deceived by any candidate especially candidate Mahama,” he urged.
Latest Stories
-
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
11 minutes -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
1 hour -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
3 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
3 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
4 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
5 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
5 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
5 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
6 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
7 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
7 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
7 hours -
JORVAGO marks 15 years in music with new single
7 hours -
The Republic of Uncompleted Dreams…
8 hours -
Gov’t will not bow to pressure to restore old cocoa producer prices – Mahama Ayariga
9 hours
