Audio By Carbonatix
A driver, Forson Awuah, has been arrested for allegedly defrauded 64 persons of ¢430,440 under the pretext of enlisting them into the Ghana Immigration Service through protocol allocation.
He has been charged with 18 counts of defrauding by false pretenses. Making his second appearance before the Kaneshie District Court, Mr Awuah pleaded not guilty.
Mr Awuah is alleged to have committed the offence with two other persons namely Clifford Nartey, aka, WOI and John Oteng, both at large.
Prosecutor in charge of the case Inspector Amoah said between September last year and February this year, Mr Awuah and the two made a representation to the 64 complainants that they were National Security Operatives.
He stated that the accused and his accomplices told the victims they could assist them to get enlisted into the Ghana Immigration Service through “Protocol means.”
The prosecution said the accused person and his accomplices collected monies totalling ¢430,440 from the 64 victims.
Inspector Amoah said on February 28, this year, Mr Awuah was arrested by Immigration Officers and handed over to the Police on March 9, this year.
Mr Awuah was earlier granted bail in the sum of GH¢500,000.00 with three sureties two of who are to be civil servants earning not less than GH¢2,000.00 as net salary.
At the Kaneshie Court on Monday, Mr Awuah‘s lawyer prayed the court to review his bail conditions as he was not able to meet them as spelt out by the court.
When the court reviewed Mr Awuah’s bail, he was admitted to bail in the sum of GH¢500,000 with three sureties, two must be justified with a landed property equivalent to GH¢500,000.
The trial has been adjourned to July 21st. Prosecuting, Inspector Richard Amoah said Mr Awuah resides at Kpone in the Greater Accra Region.
The prosecution said investigations into the matter were ongoing.
Latest Stories
-
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
7 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
9 minutes -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
9 minutes -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
10 minutes -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
14 minutes -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
15 minutes -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
18 minutes -
Ghana Card is a critical national asset – Interior Minister
43 minutes -
Northern Regional police arrest 24 suspects, retrieve suspected Indian hemp and Tramadol
1 hour -
Speaker urges Commonwealth unity for global stability and security
1 hour -
From GH¢155 billion a year to GH¢500 billion a month! The amazing story of how interoperability in 2018 has driven Ghana’s mobile Money Growth
1 hour -
Ghana Card is gateway to national services – Interior Minister as NIA marks 20 years in operation
1 hour -
Torrential rain submerges 50 houses in Cape Coast
2 hours -
OLAG crowned winners of ACE Spoken Word Contest
2 hours -
Medical and Dental Council worried over growing misconduct complaints against health professionals
2 hours