Audio By Carbonatix
The Ashanti Regional Command of the Ghana Police Service has assured the family of the city guard allegedly stabbed to death by a commercial ‘trotro’ driver and his assistant of justice.
The Command says it will do whatever is within its means to ensure the perpetrators are sanctioned.
ASP Godwin Ahianyo, the Command's Public Relations Officer, gave the assurance on Tuesday in an interview with JoyNews' Benjamin Akakpo.
According to him, the police will bring their professional expertise to bear in the case.
Even though, he won't predict the outcome of the prosecution, he is confident that, the perpetrators will be made to face the law.
"...so I am thereby assuring the family, colleagues, and friends of the deceased that the police will gather the necessary evidence and then push it to the AG’s office for advice, and then we continue with the prosecution."
"I am not going to say what will be the outcome of the prosecution, but I am saying that justice will be served at the end of the day and also to assure the public and the family that we will do our professional work."
ASP Godwin Ahianyo, however, admitted that the slow pace of investigations into such matters mostly kills the confidence of the bereaved family, but attributed that to the nature of the criminal system practised in the country.
"That is the criminal justice system. Definitely, investigations will be slow but at the end of the day, justice will be served."
City guard allegedly stabbed
The deceased, a 50-year-old Thomas Amakye Yankey, known popularly as Congo Soldier, was allegedly stabbed multiple times with a knife on the neck and stomach at the Kejetia Lorry Terminal on Monday, April 11, 2022.
He sustained injuries and later died at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital (KATH) upon referral from a clinic at Adum.
According to police sources, the deceased attempted to prevent the driver from loading passengers at an unauthorised place, leading to the brawl.
The driver claims he had been harassed by the deceased on several occasions.
On this occasion, the driver claims the deceased first hit him with an object in the head without provocation. Congo Soldier was later alleged to have been stabbed.
Latest Stories
-
BoG, SEC order the removal of all crypto billboards within 48 hours
42 minutes -
New Horizon Fun Games: Vice President calls for stronger national commitment to inclusion
2 hours -
Prof. Amoah warns Africa against becoming China’s ‘Dumping Ground’
2 hours -
President Mahama commissions B5 Plus Steel Ball Mill and Manufacturing Plant to ignite industrial revolution
3 hours -
Fighters demand amnesty for cannabis convicts following massive policy shift
4 hours -
Don’t cancel the pension scheme for cocoa farmers
4 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: CJ’s ‘No Prima Facie’ ruling and Burkina Faso bloodshed
5 hours -
Trump says he is considering limited military strike on Iran
6 hours -
Strategic voices of the opposition: Miracles Aboagye’s field advocacy and Akosua Manu’s communication shape NPP’s path forward?
6 hours -
Trump plans new 10% tariff as Supreme Court rejects his global import taxes
7 hours -
Ghana can supply steel to entire West Africa if domestic steel industry thrives – Mahama
7 hours -
Gyakie appreciates media houses for continued support
8 hours -
Imprisonment isn’t hopelessness – Ahafo GTA Regional Director tells inmates
8 hours -
GH¢150m allocated for Black Stars’ 2026 World Cup preparations — Ernest Norgbey
9 hours -
Strong food policies will protect the Ghanaian consumer against Non-Communicable Diseases – Groups
9 hours
