Audio By Carbonatix
Samuel Antwi, the driver of a Kia Bongo vehicle with registration number AS 2149-22 involved in the killing of 11 persons with seven others sustaining various degrees of injuries, has been granted Police inquiry bail with two sureties.
According to a Police source at Goaso, the Ahafo Regional capital, an investigation was underway to ascertain the cause of the accident, while efforts were being made to arrest the suspected tricycle rider who is now at large.
The Police source confirmed to the Ghana News Agency (GNA), saying around 1900 hours on Saturday, December 10, 2022, a tricycle (Aboboyaa) rider was riding from Obengkrom forest in the Asunafo South District of Ahafo Region where they had gone to harvest ginger and was moving towards Nkaseim-Hwidiem direction in the Asutifi South District in the region, adding there was also another tricycle that was going to Nkaseim.
The Police source explained that on reaching a section of the road between ‘Atta Ne Atta’ and ‘Woromso’, farming communities on the Hwidiem-Goaso road in the Asutifi South District, the tricycle rider decided to overtake the other tricycle without due care and attention.
“Immediately after the overtaking he spotted the Kia truck approaching from the other lane, the suspect rider to avoid a head-on collision swerved to his original lane but nineteen persons in the bucket fell on the road right in front of the Kia truck and the truck ran over them, killing 10 instantly, with one person dying the next day while on admission,” the source said.
The deceased persons are Sugema Kumadu ,14, Mawutor Akpaloaged, 12, Hawa Fati, 40, Apola Nyade, 19, Belinda Osei Agyeman, 12, Jacob Atia, 20, Raphia Awal, 20, Richmond Kwabena, 14, Akrobila Ayab, 22, Fati Awal, 50 and Sambama Augustine, 15.
The injured currently on admission are Mathew Asanko 14, Bismark Kwadwo Boakye 15, Awuni Toom, 10, Elizabeth Amoah, 42, Mawusi Bussing, 9, Mary Aware, 50 and Georgina Sambama, 40.
Five of the surviving victims are now on admission at the St. Elizabeth Catholic Hospital at Hwidiem, while two have been transferred to Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital and the Sunyani Regional Hospital respectively for further treatment.
The source stressed that before the incident several forums had been held at both Woromso and Nkaseim by the Police to educate and sensitize the public on the dangers of being conveyed by tricycles.
Latest Stories
-
Mali renews Barrick Mining’s Loulo license for 10 more years
3 hours -
Gender pay gap won’t close for another 30 years, warns UK trade unions group
4 hours -
No free pass for internet platforms on child safety, Starmer says
4 hours -
Andrew’s time as trade envoy should be investigated, says Vince Cable
4 hours -
‘Trump will be gone in three years’: Top Democrats try to reassure Europe
4 hours -
Cuban cigar festival called off as US blockade worsens energy crisis
4 hours -
Head of Dubai-based ports giant quits after Epstein links revealed
4 hours -
Nigeria’s state-owned NNPC records $4.2 billion after-tax profit in 2025
5 hours -
French tourist found dead in Chad after falling off cliff
5 hours -
Asuogyaman MP commissions four projects, breaks ground for more on birthday
5 hours -
GNFS averts potential petrol tanker explosion at Aveme Junction
5 hours -
Ferocious fire at Agatex Paint Factory in Ho contained
5 hours -
MTN Ghana drives nationwide blood mobilisation in partnership with Ho Teaching Hospital
6 hours -
MTN Ghana leads lifesaving blood drive as Ho Teaching Hospital warns of critical shortages
6 hours -
KNUST dominate maiden SEEDAfrique Relay Open Championship in Kumasi
6 hours
