Audio By Carbonatix
The US has carried out its first airdrop of aid for Gaza, with more than 30,000 meals parachuted in by three military planes.
The operation was carried out in conjunction with the Jordanian Air Force, the US Central Command said.
US officials say the drop was the first of many announced by President Joe Biden on Friday.
He promised to step up aid to Gaza after the death of over 100 people seeking aid from a convoy on Thursday.
C-130s dropped more than 38,000 meals along the coastline of Gaza, US Central Command said in a statement.
"These airdrops are part of a sustained effort to get more aid into Gaza, including by expanding the flow of aid through land corridors and routes," it added.
Other countries including Britain, France, Egypt and Jordan have previously airdropped aid into Gaza, but this is the first by the US.
In his statement on Friday, President Biden said the US would "insist that Israel facilitate more trucks and more routes to get more and more people the help they need".
US officials say Israel is supportive of the mission, which is being carefully planned to ensure the safety of those on the ground.
Aid agencies have said that airdrops are an inefficient, expensive and complex way of delivering supplies.
The fact that the US has opted for this method highlights the severity of the humanitarian crisis and the difficulty of getting aid by road to Gazan civilians.
In Thursday's incident, 112 people were killed and more than 760 injured as they crowded around aid lorries on the southwestern edge of Gaza City.
Hamas accused Israel of firing at civilians, but Israel said most died in a crush after it fired warning shots.
Latest Stories
-
Sinapi Aba apprenticeship program graduates 290 youth in Koforidua and Suhum
3 minutes -
Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu calls for separation of Parliament and ministerial appointments
9 minutes -
GPL 2025/26: Hearts of Oak must ‘win games’ to become champions – Didi Dramani
12 minutes -
Ghana Embassy in Washington launches investment drive in California
23 minutes -
GNAT condemns attack on WASS teachers, vows zero tolerance for violence
28 minutes -
ICGC The Royal Temple donates over GH¢50,000 worth of items to Akropong School for the Blind
29 minutes -
The speaker should be a member of Parliament—Kyei Mensah-Bonsu
31 minutes -
Minority in Parliament doing their best under difficult circumstances – Kyei Mensah- Bonsu
32 minutes -
Fire outbreak at Debiso claims one life
46 minutes -
May God give us the strength and wisdom to serve Ghana with integrity and love – Bawumia
48 minutes -
I am encouraged by our reconciliation efforts – Bawumia
56 minutes -
Accra Mayor empowers 88 PWDs with working tools, start-up capital worth over GH¢300,000
1 hour -
Moon sighting for Ramadan 2026 set for February 18 – Office of Chief Imam
1 hour -
NAIMOS task force cracks down on galamsey in Ashanti Region over Valentine’s weekend
2 hours -
OSP goofed and must tell Ghanaians the truth – Frank Davies reacts to Red Notice decision
2 hours
