Audio By Carbonatix
Rallies have taken place across Australia in response to a wave of recent violence against women.
Demonstrators want gender-based violence to be declared a national emergency and stricter laws put in place to stop it.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said the issue was a national crisis.
In Australia, a woman has been killed on average every four days so far this year.
Organiser Martina Ferrara said: "We want alternative reporting options for victim survivors to let them own their stories and own their healing and reporting journey.
"And we want the government to acknowledge this is an emergency action and take immediate action."
Speaking at a march in the capital Canberra attended by thousands of protesters, Mr Albanese admitted the government at all levels needed to do better.
"We need to change culture, the attitudes, the legal system and the approach by all governments," he said.
"We need to make sure that this isn't up to women, it's up to men to change men's behaviour as well," he added.
Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese addressed a rally in Canberra on Sunday. Image Credit: EPA
Responding to calls by protestors for violence against women to be classified as a national emergency, Mr Albanese said the classification was normally used during floods or bushfires to release a temporary injection of cash.
"We don't need one month or two months - we need to address this in a serious way, week by week, month by month, year by year," he said.
His comments were met with mixture of heckles and cheers,
But Australia's federal attorney general, Mark Dreyfus, has rejected holding a royal commission into gender-based violence.
Mr Albanese has repeatedly called gender-based violence an epidemic but it's not new: in 2021, marches took place across the country over allegations of sexual misconduct within the government.
In Adelaide, it was estimated around 3,000 people rallied outside the city's parliament building on Saturday.
Protests have also taken place in Brisbane, Melbourne, the Gold Coast and Newcastle over Friday and Saturday, 9News reported.
Recent killings have put the issue back in the spotlight.
Earlier this month, a man stabbed six people to death in a Sydney shopping centre. Five of the victims were women and the police are looking at whether they were the target.
There were similar demonstrations in Sydney on Saturday. Image Credit: Getty Images
New South Wales Police Force commissioner Karen Webb said "the offender focused on women and avoided the men".
The rallies also coincided with the charging of a man with the alleged murder of 30-year-old mother-of-four Erica Hay, who was found dead after a house fire in Perth earlier this month.
In all, 27 women have been killed in the first 119 days of 2024, according to data compiled by the campaign group Destroy the Joint.
Latest Stories
-
GIBA calls on NCA to review FM coverage restriction directive – GIBA President
3 hours -
Future of Ghana’s media will be defined by AI, digital disruption and regulatory reform – GIBA
4 hours -
Mahama stayed away so Ministers could speak freely – Kwakye Ofosu opens up on Damang Mine Cabinet debate
4 hours -
Kylie Minogue says cancer experience ‘still with me’
4 hours -
Dozens of romance scammers arrested after specialist fraud squad investigation in UK, Nigeria
4 hours -
Ghana to bid farewell to Aps Kwadwo Safo as funeral rites set for July 30
4 hours -
Son of Mango boss arrested over father’s fatal fall from cliff
4 hours -
Video: Moment Arsenal squad found out they were Premier League 2025/26 champions
4 hours -
Starbucks Korea sacks CEO over controversial ‘Tank Day’ promotion
5 hours -
Google to release first smart glasses since Google Glass flop
5 hours -
Two-time winner Alcaraz out of Wimbledon with injury
5 hours -
GSA shuts down 5A Homes for allegedly producing substandard mattresses
5 hours -
Heads of SHSs cite Buffer Stock Company over missing cost details of food supplies
5 hours -
Gov’t breached oil fund law for 5 years, kept $100m cap instead of $584m – PIAC report
5 hours -
Buffer Stock Company says SHS food prices are agreed by stakeholders, denies lack of transparency
5 hours