Audio By Carbonatix
Senegal authorities said they had detected a case of mpox in a foreign man who arrived in the West African country last week.
The health ministry said it was the first case it had detected this year. It was not immediately clear how many cases, if any, had been reported there before January.
"The patient's clinical condition is stable. He is currently in isolation and is receiving care," the ministry said in a statement late on Saturday. It did not give details on what variant of the infection had been found.
No new cases had been detected since then, and 25 people were being monitored, a ministry spokesperson said on Monday.
Mpox can spread through close contact. Usually mild, it is fatal in rare cases. It causes flu-like symptoms and pus-filled lesions on the body.
In August 2024, the World Health Organisation declared mpox a global public health emergency for the second time in two years, following an outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that had spread to neighbouring countries.
Latest Stories
-
World Cup reality check: Mexico outclass Ghana with 2-0 win in Puebla friendly
40 minutes -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
60 minutes -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
2 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
2 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
4 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
4 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
5 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
5 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
6 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
6 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
7 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
7 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
7 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
7 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
7 hours