Audio By Carbonatix
Minister for Communications, Digital Technology and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George, says government will begin a fresh nationwide SIM registration exercise by the first quarter of 2026.
The Minister said the previous exercise conducted under former Minister Ursula Owusu-Ekuful and the former NPP government was invalid.
He argued that “the registrations that were purported to have been done by Ursula Owusu and the NPP did not cross-reference the biometrics they took from you against that database. Nothing of that sort was done.”
Mr George said the necessary legal framework is almost ready. According to him, “the L.I is ready and again I am meticulous about what I am doing. First quarter next year, we will run it out. We are currently at the Public Procurement Authority doing the procurement of the service provider to do the SIM registration.”
He said that the new process will be grounded in law. “We have drafted the L.I and it will be laid before Parliament because again there must be a proper legal basis for what we are doing. Already, there’s been testing, there’s been all kinds of things done by the regulator,” he stated.
The Minister also clarified that the upcoming exercise will not be a continuation of the previous one. “We are not doing a re-registration. We are doing a SIM registration. You didn’t do any registration, the former Minister just wasted everybody’s time,” he said.
The Minister was speaking in an interview on TV3, Wednesday, December 3, where he added that the Ministry has been working closely with the National Identification Authority (NIA) and other relevant agencies to secure a more reliable system for biometric verification.
“So, now we have sat down with the Interior Minister and his head of agency, Yayra Koku at NIA. We have worked out the integration between the Telco, the regulator, NCA, and the NIA.”
He further noted that the government is cleaning up previously collected data to ensure accuracy. “All the biometrics they (NPP) collected it was just sitting in databases scattered all over the place. We have picked those databases, and we are now cleaning them up and cross referencing them with the NIA in the backend. About 80% of them have been done,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
Renaming KIA to Accra International Airport key to reviving national airline – Transport Minister
9 minutes -
Interior Minister urges public not to share images of Burkina Faso attack victims
10 minutes -
Unknown persons desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
18 minutes -
I will tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
23 minutes -
Ghana to host high-level national consultative on use of explosive weapons in populated areas
28 minutes -
Daily Insight for CEOs: Leadership Communication and Alignment
45 minutes -
Ace Ankomah writes: Let’s coffee our cocoa: My Sunday morning musings
49 minutes -
Real income of cocoa farmers has improved – Agriculture Minister
54 minutes -
I’ll tour cocoa-growing areas to explain new price – Eric Opoku
55 minutes -
Titao attack should be wake-up call for Ghana’s security architecture – Samuel Jinapor
56 minutes -
New Juaben South MP Okyere Baafi condemns Burkina Faso attack, demands probe into government response
1 hour -
A/R: Unknown assailants desecrate graves at Asante Mampong cemetery
1 hour -
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
2 hours -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
2 hours -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
2 hours
