Audio By Carbonatix
Worshippers at the Ho Central Mosque in the Volta Region have been forced to perform Jummah prayers outdoors following a heavy security presence at the mosque.
The closure comes in the wake of disturbances last week, during which armed individuals reportedly stormed the mosque and opened fire on worshippers, raising serious security concerns.
The unrest is linked to a protracted dispute over the Imamship, with two rival factions laying claim to the leadership of the Muslim community in the region.

On Friday, the main mosque remained locked under tight security, while some members of the Muslim community were seen preparing the residence of one of the factions to hold Friday prayers outside.
A victim of last week's shooting incident, who spoke to Myjoyonline's Albert Kuzor, said, "Last week, when the incident happened, I was injured, but by the grace of Allah, I am now able to walk, so I still made it here today to pray. When the incident happened, no one came to visit us to see how we were doing.
Another victim also said, "Last week, I was at home when we heard the news about the shooting, and we rushed to the mosque. Fortunately for me, I was not injured. And today, I was at home when the Imam called to inform me that there was a place available for prayers, so we should come. That is why I am here to help prepare the place where we can pray. We will pray outside since the mosque has been closed."
Meanwhile, REGSEC, in consultation with the Ministry of the Interior, has ordered the temporary closure of the Ho Central Mosque for two weeks, effective Thursday, January 1, 2026.
In a statement, REGSEC said the decision was taken to prevent further tension and possible escalation within the Muslim community in Ho following the leadership dispute.
The council also declared the mosque premises a crime scene to allow for thorough investigations into the incident.
“The location under dispute is hereby declared a crime scene to facilitate further investigation until a permanent resolution is achieved concerning the ongoing impasse,” REGSEC stated.
According to the security body, the closure is not punitive but rather a preventive measure aimed at restoring calm and enabling dialogue among the feuding parties.
“This decision has been taken solely in the interest of peace, unity and the long-term stability of the Muslim community in Ho,” REGSEC added.
Security personnel are expected to maintain their presence in the area as investigations continue and mediation efforts are pursued to resolve the dispute.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
25 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
28 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
34 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
50 minutes -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
55 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
57 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
1 hour -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
3 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
3 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
3 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
4 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
4 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours